Gypsy Boy

by Mikey Walsh | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingdaffodil-2wing of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 3/1/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingdaffodil-2wing from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, March 01, 2021
This paperback was given to me by sister-in-law C for bookcrossing. It tells the true story of Mikey Walsh who was born into a Romany Gypsy family, Growing up he didn't go to school and seldom mixed with non-gypsies. But although he inherited a vibrant and loyal culture, his family legacy was bittersweet with a hidden history of grief and abuse.
From the cover:- "

Journal Entry 2 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, March 05, 2021
REVIEW:-"I thought this book was well written but I did have difficulty keeping up with all the characters at times. It was so shocking to read of the dreadful sexual and physical abuse suffered by Mikey, when he was as young as 4 years old, that I had to skip fairly large portions of the book at times. However I continued as I was confident from reading the "blurb" on the back of the book that he had managed to escape the confines of his family and their way of life in the end.
I felt that Mikey's friend Caleb was a rather suspicious character although it did seem that he had genuine feelings for Mikey due to the abuse he too suffered on Mikey's behalf.
It was interesting to learn about the gypsy culture but very shocking to hear about the extremely foul language used by the whole family. Also I felt it was a dreadful shame that the gypsy children weren't encouraged to attend school or to mix with non-gypsy people."
Reserved for another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2021

Released 3 mos ago (3/15/2021 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be off on its travels by post.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 4 by kirstykat at Potters Bar, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 17, 2021
A beautiful surprise and it is on my Wishlist!
Thank You Daffodil-2, I look forward to reading this and then moving it on!

Journal Entry 5 by kirstykat at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Released 4 wks ago (5/19/2021 UTC) at Barry, Wales United Kingdom

I chose not to read this book as it is rather graphic - Daffodil 2 kindly warned me .
It is now on it's way to NatalieC7 who has read the reviews and requested it when I offered it as RABCK.

I hope that you largely enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingNataliec7wing at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 25, 2021
Thanks so much for sending Kirstykat