Does My Head Look Big In This?

by Randa Abdel-Fattah | Teens | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingawaywithfairieswing of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 2/23/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 23, 2021
From the back of the book:
The slide opened and I heard a gentle, kind voice: What is your confession, my child?
I was stuffed. The Priest would declare me a heretic; my parents would call me a traitor...
The Priest asked me again: What is your confession, my child?
I'm Muslim. I whispered.

Welcome to my world. I'm Amal Abdel-Hakim, a sixteen year-old Australian-Palestinian-Muslim still getting to grips with my various identity hyphens.

It's hard enough being cool as a teenager when being one issue behind the latest Cosmo is enough to disqualify you from the in-group. Try wearing a veil on your head and getting in the 'bum's up' position at lunchtime and you know you're in for a tough time.

Luckily my friends support me, although they've got a few troubles of their own. Simone, blonde and gorgeous, has got serious image issues, and Leila's really intelligent but her parents are more interested in her getting a marriage certificate than her high school certificate.

And I thought I had problems...

Journal Entry 2 by wingawaywithfairieswing at Gibson Street Book Exchange in Bowden, South Australia Australia on Thursday, February 25, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/25/2021 UTC) at Gibson Street Book Exchange in Bowden, South Australia Australia

Left at the Street Library.

Release #51 for the 2021 Heads Shoulders Knees and Toes Challenge.