The Five

by Hallie Rubenhold | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 147354226X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/17/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 17, 2021
A really interesting and important book in Ripperology and the rest of the true crime genre: telling the tale of the victims rather than the perpetrator. I've read a few books previously about Jack the Ripper and the women he killed were treated as passive objects. This book fleshed out their lives, and showed them off as the fascinating, complex women they all were. Their backgrounds were far more varied than I'd ever realised, but all contained significant elements of tragedy. Learning about them as women allows their murders to be seen in a new light. I'd never heard it suggested that the Ripper killed his victims whilst they were asleep before, and it's an electrifying theory. It gave me a few prickles down the spine if I'm honest.

Sadly, even despite the author's researches, there remain huge blanks in the women's lives, and this is where my problems with the book come in. Rubenhold has tried to fill in these blanks with a novelist's imaginative leap into their probable actions and emotions. This made the book a lot more readable, but at the loss of its reliability as a nonfiction book. At times I found myself getting lost between the layers of what is evidenced fact, and what Rubenhold had hypothesised as a result about the women and their personalities. I would, to be honest, have preferred a straighter style which acknowledged more of the mysteries behind these lost individuals.

Hopefully this book might lead to more consideration of crime stories, true life and fictional, with victims at the forefront rather than in the background.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 09, 2021

Released 4 wks ago (4/9/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent to Poodlesister as a rabck.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2021
Thanks very much for the two wishlist books and the postcard. This book has been recommended to me by many people.