We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

by Karen Joy Fowler | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/16/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 16, 2021
Wow, this novel went in directions I wasn't expecting! It's hard to write a review that doesn't give away the essential plot twist that occurs about a quarter in, but I'll try briefly.

The story is told through the narration of Rosemary, the lead character. She is an absolute delight to read: funny, intelligent, exuberant yet self-conscious, and full of emotion. I loved the references to her deliberate choices in narrative structure and style along the way. Other characters such as Harlow, and of course, Fern, are brilliantly developed. The novel is overall entertaining and though-provoking in equal measure.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2021

Released 4 wks ago (4/8/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent out as a rabck to a fellow Bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Is it too obvious to say I’m completely beside myself to receive this as a wishlist RABCK? I don’t care. I’m delighted! I’ve been wanting to read this since BCer Spedbug reviewed it on Goodreads. If I didn’t have a houseful of books to read, it would be perfect timing as I have literally just finished reading Elizabeth Goudge’s A City of Bells. But as I’m currently reading books published in 1936 for a blogging challenge, this book will join the others on my TBR shelf and will have to wait until I can’t resist it any longer. Perhaps I will be able to read it before the next time the Dutch BookCrossers meet in person. whenever that may be. Thank you so much, LittleSuz!