A Girl Called Owl

by Amy Wilson | Teens |
Registered by kiki66 of Gauting, Bayern Germany on 2/16/2021
Journal Entry 1 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, February 16, 2021
It's bad enough having a mum dippy enough to name you Owl, but when you've got a dad you've never met, a best friend who needs you more than ever, and a new boy at school giving you weird looks, there's not a lot of room for much else.

So when Owl starts seeing strange frost patterns on her skin, she's tempted to just burrow down under the duvet and forget all about it. Could her strange new powers be linked to her mysterious father? And what will happen when she enters the magical world of winter for the first time?

Journal Entry 2 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, February 16, 2021
Once again - being me - I fell for the (a) title... :-)
But I wasn't disappointed, even though I failed to realize at first that this
belongs more to the category "Teen Books" than adults.
But why not. Usually I enjoy reading them as well.
And so I did. It was a good blend of "normal world" and fantasy/mystery.
Sometimes Owl got a bit on my nerves with her quest and stubbornness to find her father - getting into troubles when everyone around her warned her off!
And Jack was sometimes behaving like a huge child, but maybe that's the charm of being Jack Frost.
So, all in all I liked it but I am not sure I will read Part 2.

Journal Entry 3 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Saturday, February 27, 2021
Ray - Ray - Ray -
On its way to Switzerland -
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, March 2, 2021
This has arrived safely in the Switzerland where I am in temporary lodgings until the end of this month. Good timing as my TBR shelf (for once it's really just a shelf) is getting a bit thin. Thanks so much for making this available. Hope you are well!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, April 16, 2021
This came to me as a bookcrossing ray - I had been given a heads-up that it is more a children's or young adult book, but that did not dissuade me, nor did it spoil my enjoyment. After all, one could say that Sarah Addison Allen's books could be appreciated by young people, or a few other fantasy/magic stories.... and I certainly enjoy those.
This blend of teenage angst and issues (parental separation, absent father, high school shenanigans) and fairy tales which just might be true, was a very entertaining and enjoyable read. I also rather appreciated that here it is the human who breaks the deadlock in a crucial scene, which makes the case for diversity.
It would seem there should be a sequel or two (Owl and the Lost Boy, for starters), but they are not (yet?) listed on Amy Wilson's page on fantasticfiction. It would be fun to read that/those too.
I am yet again grateful to kiki66 for making a fun new book (and author) available for discovery. I think I am at the end of the ray (correct me if I am wrong), so I will see what the fate of this book is to be.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (4/28/2021 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This left Switzerland for France by car, and now heads to the UK as the bookray continues - here's the list:

Poodlesister (UK) can ship int'l
greenbadger (UK) can ship int'l
mcsar (Canada) can ship int'l <-- it's here!

Journal Entry 7 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 7, 2021
I think this is just the right book for me to read at the moment. It’s going to jump the TBR queue ahead of another ray book. Thanks for making this available!

Journal Entry 8 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, May 8, 2021
A lovely and quick read. Perfect for my current state of mind.

Journal Entry 9 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, May 8, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (5/8/2021 UTC) at Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to greenbadger who is next in the ray.

Join UK Bookcrossers at the Newcastle Unconvention from 1st-3rd October 2021

Journal Entry 10 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2021
The book has arrived, thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 17, 2021
This is a wonderful and original fantasy, aimed at children but a great read for anyone. Owl has never quite fit in, with her unusual name and not knowing who her father is. But when she starts to develop patterns of ice on her skin, it's time for her to go looking for him and go into the land of fae. Fortunately she has her loyal best friend, Mallory, to help, and also the new boy at school, the rather strange Alberic. I love this story of faery and the seasons, will definitely look out for the sequel.

Journal Entry 12 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 21, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (5/21/2021 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

On its way to mcsar, next in the ray.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, June 8, 2021
Book arrived. Will start reading very soon.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Monday, June 14, 2021
I love this too. A fun, quick read. I immediately look up the author and see what else is there to enjoy. Thanks for sharing this as a bookray and introducing me to a new author.