Foxglove Summer

Where's this book been?
by Ben Aaronovitch | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/18/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, March 18, 2021
I got this paperback at Barnes and Noble today. It's the 5th novel in the fantasy/police-procedural "Rivers of London" series, of which I've enjoyed several other books - some in audio form, very well done - and several graphic-novel stories such as this one. (The series begins with Rivers of London, released as Midnight Riot in the US; this volume follows the events of Broken Homes.)

Later: I've enjoyed all the "Rivers" books I've read, but this one was especially rollicking and fun. (And it opens with a dedication to "Sir Terry Pratchett OBE, who has stood like a wossname upon the rocky shores of our imaginations - the better to guide us safely into harbor.")

Here, Peter's still trying to cope with the aftermath of his betrayal by a trusted comrade, while continuing his magical studies and trying to get some work done. The case that comes up here involves missing children, something sadly common in mundane situations but that may also indicate the actions of a malevolent magic-practitioner - in which case the children may be intended as sacrifices. The case involves checking up on any known surviving wizards (whether supposedly inactive or not), as well as more typical police-procedural bits, and it all weaves into quite an intriguing case. There are, of course, lots of snarky and humorous quips, many of which involve Peter bringing in pop-culture references from Tolkien to the Discworld (plus a probably-unintentional nod to "Aliens" from, of all people, Nightingale - though he may have picked it up from Peter and used it on purpose). Oh, and a variety of magical peoples, some of them new to our hero - though in one case he discovers something about the Folly's competent yet creepy housekeeper Molly, not that he's about to mention it to her!

An invisible magical pony - or is it a unicorn? - and some interaction with the fae alternate with a surprising communication from Peter's rebellious former partner to keep things buzzing. (Also, bees!) Peter's girlfriend Beverly Brook (one of the river goddesses) gets to play a significant role, with a truly awesome last-minute appearance. And there's quite a spectacular climactic confrontation, with Peter using his London constabulary powers as much as his magic ones. Excellent!

The series continues with The Hanging Tree.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 1 mo ago (5/12/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd [OBCZ] in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library on this bright, breezy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 April Showers/May Flowers challenge. ***