Butcher Bird

Where's this book been?
by Richard Kadrey | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/24/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2021
I found this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, intrigued by the title and the cover-art. It's about a young man who runs a tattoo shop in San Francisco, and would be fairly happy with his life if he hadn't just broken up with his girlfriend. While drowning his sorrows with has friend Lulu, with whom he's bantering about the worst possible ways to die (!), he sees an attractive blind woman at the bar - and not long afterwards he finds himself owing his life to her when a demonic creature attacks him...

Turns out there are three "spheres" of reality, including the mundane world, the sphere of mystical creatures such as selkies, vampires, and wyverns, and the sphere of angels and demons. And, for some reason - possibly due to having been a bit careless as to the true meaning of some of the glyphs he's had tattooed on his own body - our hero can suddenly see the beings in these other spheres. And they don't necessarily like this.

Even worse is to come; it turns out that Spyder's friend Lulu doesn't look the way he thought she did, now that his eyes have been opened. She's subject to a punishing deal-with-the-devil (or at least with a crew of business-suited beings of some sort), and has been giving up bits of herself for some time. Spyder steps in to save her from another payment, and is caught up in a war between the spheres that threatens to destroy the world he knows.

While the concept was entertaining and I did like the main characters, I found the story a bit too scattered for my taste, though I did enjoy the reveal as to Spyder's relationship with one very important being from another sphere. And there's some nicely snarky dialogue and lots of pop-culture quips throughout. I confess to skimming through a good bit of the story, though, as the journey didn't interest me as much as finding out how it all ended. But perhaps someone else will enjoy it more!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Hersey St. in Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/25/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hersey St. in Bedford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Wine+Food challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2021 Great Backyard Bird Count challenge (see www.birdcount.org to join the count). ***