The Rules of Magic

by Alice Hoffman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingMmeClintonwing of South Berwick, Maine USA on 1/23/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Saturday, January 23, 2021
Review: The Rules of Magic (Alice Hoffman) I enjoyed the reading of this book by the time I finished it, but I feel a certain sense of ambivalence. This is a talented writer (I recall smiling at a good number of craftily wrought phrases), and by the end, I understood what a nice tale of family lore and love it was. Along the way, though, and especially in the beginning, I didn't feel that tug of unity. Also, even though I often like fantasy and science fiction, the story (primarily) of Franny, Jet and Vincent with each imbued with magical powers within their more commonplace human experiences fell a bit flat. A long line of Owens witches and wizards, a schism in the family centuries ago, the oft-repeated warning not to fall in love lest the object of that love meet a sad end, and many tragedies form the narrative. The simple rules of magic: Do as you will, but harm no one (seems straightforward, but you can never know how what you do harms others...), What you give will be returned to you threefold, and Fall in love whenever you can. Each of our principal characters, as well as their Owens cousin April, fear causing harm and try to not fall in love, all while those with whom they clearly do love encourage them to find a way to outfox the curse. A satisfying element of the story are the references to true events happening in the 60's and 70's and how they impact the story lines. Love and reconciliation win the day. I had this one on my wish list for a long time and am glad I read it, even if it didn't quite seize my mind as I had hoped.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMmeClintonwing at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA on Saturday, January 23, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/23/2021 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

on the bench near the entrances