Perfect Murder, Perfect Town

by Lawrence Schiller | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 1/4/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 04, 2021
I had long wanted to read this but was somewhat daunted by its 700+ page length. Am glad I finally tackled it, as I am, one might say, obsessed with this case. I read two forums on Reddit daily that discuss it. One is primarily those who believe in the Intruder Theory, and the other those who are convinced that Patsy, John, or Burke (or some combination thereof) did it.

This author seems to lean a tiny bit towards the “Family” theory, but overall just presents the details.

I learned a lot, despite my extended online reading over the years. 😊

Having been published in 1999, it lacks more recent developments, notably that in 2013 it was disclosed that the Grand Jury had in fact issued indictments against the Ramseys (though not for murder). Rather, the jury found that the Ramseys put Jonbenet in a dangerous situation where harm could come to her, AND that they then proceeded to protect the person who tortured and killed her. This is why many people now believe that Burke was the perpetrator, even if it was an accident and the parents staged the scene to look like a sexual crime.

A baffling mystery that will most likely never be solved, especially given the way the police allowed the scene to be contaminated by the Ramsey’s many friends who came over immediately after Patsy placed the 911 call. People debate quite fiercely as to whether the DNA will someday provide an answer, through genealogical sites perhaps. So far there is no matching DNA in the CODIS criminal justice DNA database. (That raises the other issue, however, of whether the crime scene DNA is from a single person or is a composite.)

I recommend the book for its detail; perhaps best read in small bits, as I did – it’s a lot to absorb!

Amazon:
In Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, Lawrence Schiller thoroughly recreates every aspect of the complex case of the death of JonBenét Ramsey. A brilliant portrait of an inscrutable family thrust under the spotlight of public suspicion and an affluent, tranquil city torn apart by a crime it couldn't handle, Perfect Murder, Perfect Town uncovers the mysteries that have bewildered the nation.

Why were the Ramseys, the targets of the investigation, able to control the direction of the police inquiry?

Can the key to the murder be found in the pen and writing pad used for the ransom note?

Was it possible for an intruder to have killed JonBenét?

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, January 07, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/6/2021 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling to Bookworm-lady as a wishlist-tag. Thanks for your patience!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, February 04, 2021
Thanks soo much; I became interested in this case back in 1995-96, when I lived in Northern Madrid and had access to Larry King's program... I believe this has never been solved.
Looking forward to reading it, thanks a lot!!