For Love

by Sue Miller | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingvalpetewing of Walnut Creek, California USA on 12/21/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, December 21, 2020
This is a story of family, love, regret, remorse, guilt, and much more. You will like it if you are a person that explores feelings, emotions, situations, personalities, and motives.

Journal Entry 2 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, December 21, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (12/21/2020 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I found this on my TBR shelf and remembered why I liked reading Sue Miller. I have selected this book as My Favorite book of 2020. Hope you will enjoy, too!

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, January 9, 2021
Your book is here valpete ! The mailman delivered it this afternoon, a saturday !

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, January 18, 2021
I have mixed feeling here. A very thorough research but so what ?
Certainly not a recipe for happiness.
I struggled to stay focused, not an easy read because of the writing style and the book police.
I liked Lottie's fondness for clutter when writing though.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, January 25, 2021

Released 6 mos ago (1/26/2021 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Finland. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 6 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, February 17, 2021
And it finally arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Tuesday, March 2, 2021
For Love is my first book by Sue Miller. It was a fairly slow read, very introspective and reflective. The main character, Lottie, is a middle-aged writer who is doing research for an article about love while at the same time getting her mother's house - her own childhood home - ready for sale. She works at the house and remembers and ponders her various relationships and why they had developed as they had - demented mother, older brother, first husband and their grown up son, current husband.

I enjoyed Sue Miller's style of writing, vivid use of senses to describe both the outer world and inner emotions. She is mundane and deep at the same time. Something in the book reminded me of another American writer, Elizabeth Strout.

Journal Entry 8 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Released 4 mos ago (3/2/2021 UTC) at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland

The book has today started its travel to grovalskii in Germany.

Journal Entry 9 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, March 10, 2021
The book arrived yesterday. Already started reading it! :)

Journal Entry 10 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, March 25, 2021
Finally finished the book, took me a while. It's rather tedious at times. Nice enough story, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it during vacation, somewhere in the sunshine on a beach.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 10, 2021
Arrived safely, thank you grovalskii!

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 30, 2021
I struggled a bit with this book. The author is good at describing feelings, surroundings, thoughts, etc. (despite the odd grammar error here and there), and I enjoyed that, but I felt there was too much of it. Every time a character moved, there seemed to be another complete description of their surroundings. The idea was promising, and I was willing the story to surprise me, but on the whole I felt it was just too reflective.
That said, I was glad of the chance to read it, and that's what the roundabout is all about! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by wingFifnawing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 10, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (5/10/2021 UTC) at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom

Travelling to dark-draco.

Journal Entry 14 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2021
Received ... Thank you 😃

Journal Entry 15 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 10, 2021
This is the sort of book that I would normally not touch with a long barge pole! But I was taken pleasantly by surprise. I have not read this author before and I kind of liked her style, which kept me reading - after all, there wasn't a huge amount going on to keep you reading otherwise!

It started off so well, with Cameron's accident and subsequent disappearance - this mild mystery is what kept the book moving sluggishly on through Lottie's constant reflections. But there was no real big twist about where he was ... it was all a bit pathetic really, even if it did open Lottie's eyes on what her life could become.

So, overall, a good read - I enjoyed it enough to look out for other books by the author, but wouldn't necessarily rush out to buy them ;)

Released 1 mo ago (6/18/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader - enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Received. Thank you.

Journal Entry 18 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2021
I enjoyed the reflective nature of this book. I like a bit of introspection! Thank you for introducing me to Sue Miller, valpete, because if I come across any other novels by her
I will certainly give them a go.

Released 2 wks ago (7/15/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 19, 2021
Thank you, arrived today. I'm sorry I am holding up this roundabout but I am shortly off for 3 weeks holiday so I hope I actually catch up on my reading rather than do nothing but sleep.

PS The cover looks like it might peel off soon so I'll maybe try and tape it up.