Born a Crime

by Trevor Noah | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 052550902X Global Overview for this book
Registered by grovalskii of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 12/21/2020
Journal Entry 1 by grovalskii from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, December 21, 2020
A wonderful book about the childhood memories of Trevor Noah, a comedian from South Africa. I would not consider this a book of comedy, but being a comedian, Noah manages to describe life under apartheid in a more entertaining way than a history book would give you. That is not to say that life under apartheid was easy and should be down-played. But I did enjoy the writing style and felt that I got entertainment as well as information out of the book. Just the combination I like!

Journal Entry 2 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Released 4 mos ago (12/29/2020 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

Valpete USA
Icila France
Paulanni Finland
back to grovalskii Germany

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did!

Journal Entry 3 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, January 02, 2021
It has arrived safely, thanks grovalskii! Looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 11, 2021
I've seen Trevor Noah on the Daily Show and it was very interesting to read about his childhood in South Africa. It's not an easy tale, but ultimately uplifting nonetheless. It's well-written, and though I felt it was grinding to a halt towards the end, then came the last chapter about his mum, which is heartbreaking but still brings a smile to your face.
Thanks for sharing, grovalskii!

Journal Entry 5 by wingFifnawing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 18, 2021

Released 3 mos ago (1/18/2021 UTC) at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom

On its way to dark-draco.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 29, 2021
Received... thank you.

Journal Entry 7 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 04, 2021
This is why I love this roundabout - I would never have picked up this book off my own bat. I've heard of Trevor Noah and seen him a bit on TV, but he's not hugely known in the UK, so it wouldn't have been an autobiography that I would have searched out.

But I really enjoyed reading it. The style is nice and easy to read, and there is the inevitable sense of humour running through what could otherwise be quite a horrific childhood. I know I shouldn't off, and despite you seeing it coming, I snorted out loud at the conclusion of the DJ set at the Jewish school.

Definitely worth reading - strangely uplifting and an eye open into a culture I knew little about.

Released 1 mo ago (3/19/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 9 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 25, 2021
Arrived today. Thank you.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 06, 2021
What a surprise that was. I really enjoyed this insightful representation of Trevor Noah growing up. I am sorry to say that I had never heard of him, but now I shall retain a soft spot for the lad, even as I imagine him tearing through the streets with his mother on his tail.

Released 4 wks ago (4/6/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next participant.

Journal Entry 12 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 10, 2021
Arrived today. I saw Trevor Noah at his first performance in the UK at the Edinburgh Festival. He only had a short slot in a larger cabaret night but when it was finished I posted on FB saying "Watch out for a great young South African comedian called Trevor Noah."