The Thursday Murder Club

by Richard Osman | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingkinediwing of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 12/15/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 15, 2020

In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet up once a week to investigate unsolved murders.

But when a brutal killing takes place on their very doorstep, the Thursday Murder Club find themselves in the middle of their first live case.

Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer before it's too late?

Bookclub Jan 2021

Journal Entry 2 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, December 19, 2020
Bookclub choice for January 21 as we were in need of some lighter reading after a few " heavy " ones. It was certainly a very funny, witty and clever first novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I loved the motley cruel of characters and my, Joyce has some of the best lines !
I can see why the book was instantly popular and I'm delighted to find that Richard Osman is already penning a sequel.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, February 18, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (2/19/2021 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

Off to LittleSuz ! Happy reading

Journal Entry 4 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 22, 2021
It was a treat to receive this in the post today. Have been wanting to read it for a little while. Thank you Kinedi! My available shelf is pretty full at the moment so if you'd like me to send anything in return, do just say.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2021
Osman's writing reminded me a lot of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels. There's the same wry humour in amongst human tragedy. There are some great lines right from the start (including baddie Ian Ventham choosing to park in the disabled bays at Waitrose "because they were closest to the door", and later discussion about elderly suspects in a murder case "Well we can discount the Zimmers, because they couldn't move fast enough".) I found Osman a bit heavy-handed in his character description when compared to Atkinson though. That deft lightness may be the mark of the more experienced writer. Maybe he'll improve with practice.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the The Thursday Murder Club and read it quickly. I might quibble with the sheer number of dead characters as they mounted up by the novel's end (I was struggling to keep count) but the story was clearly intended to be somewhat silly rather than in any way realistic.

It's not going to win the Booker, but I can understand why this novel has caught people's imagination. It's stereotypical British fiction at its most fun.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 09, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (4/9/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Popped over to Triggerfish's garden (a real treat in lockdown!) and left this.

Journal Entry 7 by Triggerfish at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 10, 2021
Thanks so much for bringing me this and the other two books, LittleSuz!