The Three-Body Problem

by Cixin Liu | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 12/12/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, December 12, 2020

The cover text reads:

1967: Ye Wenjie witnesses Red Guards beat her father to death during China's Cultural Revolution. This singular event will shape not only the rest of her life but also the future of mankind.

Four decades later, Beijing police ask nanotech engineer Wang Miao to infiltrate a secretive cabal of scientists after a spate of inexplicable suicides. Wang's investigation will lead him to a mysterious online game and immerse him in a virtual world ruled by the intractable and unpredictable interaction of its three suns.

This is the Three-Body Problem and it is the key to everything: the key to the scientists' deaths, the key to a conspiracy that spans light-years and the key to the extinction-level threat humanity now faces.

This book was recommended by a guest on a book review programme as the first part of a trilogy. It's not a light read: it's 400+ pages with a grand theme, involving Chinese Cultural Revolution history, excursions into the Three Body game to explain some of the background to Trisolaris, and the links between them.

Unfortunately, to my mind it's not really a self-contained first book within an over-arching trilogy. Instead it's the first volume of a larger story. And that's a problem, because although it's good, I didn't feel that it was enough of a page-turner, nor did it finish with a cliff-hanger ending that makes me want to read on, and so I'm left in a no-man's land between an unfinished story and having to read two more volumes.

If I'd known at the beginning that I was really committing to a 1200+ page book, I might not have started, and that's why I've marked it down.

Journal Entry 2 by wingengelsmanwing at Noordwijk, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/27/2024 UTC) at Noordwijk, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

passed on to a colleague