Memoirs of Many in One

by Patrick White | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by AnonymousFriend of Wantirna South, Victoria Australia on 1/2/2021
Journal Entry 1 by AnonymousFriend from Wantirna South, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 2, 2021
Patrick White was 73 when he started writing his last completed novel and unsurprisingly its theme was old age and worries of approaching senility. The author was complaining that age was a dreadful mess and that his life would be a shambles to the end. In Memoirs of Many in One he took the point of view of an elderly woman, Alex Xenophon Demirjian Gray, whose mind was being overtaken by confusion and delusion.
After a short introduction by the editor (White) explaining how the novel will work, the reader is immediately plunged into the mind of Alex and taken on a roller coaster through her current fears: that her family are planning to have her locked away in a mental hospital, through to her thoughts about her past life, some of which may be imaginary and some of which is certainly from her dreams. As the novel progresses, her increasing inability to separate past events from current actions and her now fading memory is handled well. We follow Alex on a jaunt through the city on foot when she gets it into her head to escape from her daughter. We also follow her as a member of a drama group on a cash strapped tour through the Australian outback and we are with her when she tries to carry out the most basic functions in the house where she lives.

Journal Entry 2 by AnonymousFriend at Redgum Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Sunday, November 27, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (12/1/2022 UTC) at Redgum Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Release #243 for 2022...

Journal Entry 3 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Thursday, December 1, 2022
Caught at Redgum Cafe.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Perhaps I shouldn't admit this but I do struggle with Patrick White's writing. Having confessed to that, I did laugh out loud a few times as well as coming across some moments of real poignancy...

Journal Entry 5 by wingmarmee463wing at Lady Florence Free Swap Street Library in Eltham, Victoria Australia on Saturday, December 17, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (12/20/2022 UTC) at Lady Florence Free Swap Street Library in Eltham, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book -
Please let me know it is in safe hands by journalling that you have caught it, you are under no obligation to read it and Bookcrossing is completely anonymous.