Lady Windermere's Fan, A Woman of No Importance, An Ideal Husband, The Importance of Being Ernest, Salomé

by Oscar Wilde | Plays & Scripts | This book has not been rated.
Registered by xtrdnry of Parkdale, Victoria Australia on 11/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by xtrdnry from Parkdale, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 11, 2020
Excerpt: ... ACT I Scene--The octagon room at Sir Robert Chiltern's house in Grosvenor Square. The room is brilliantly lighted and full of guests. At the top of the staircase stands Lady Chiltern, a woman of grave Greek beauty, about twenty-seven years of age. She receives the guests as they come up. Over the well of the staircase hangs a great chandelier with wax lights, which illumine a large eighteenth century French tapestry--representing the Triumph of Love, from a design by Boucher--that is stretched on the staircase wall. On the right is the entrance 'to the music-room. The sound of a string quartet is faintly heard. The entrance on the left leads to other reception-rooms. Mrs. Marchmont and Lady Basildon, two very pretty women, are seated together on a Louis Seize sofa. They are types of exquisite fragility. Their affectation of manner has a delicate charm. Watteau would have loved to paint them.

Mrs. Marchmont. Going on to the Hartlocks' tonight, Margaret?
Lady Basildon. I suppose so. Are you?
Mrs. Marchmont. Yes. Horribly tedious parties they give, don't they?
Lady Basildon. Horribly tedious! Never know why I go. Never know why I go anywhere.
Mrs. Marchmont. I come here to be educated.
Lady Basildon. Ah! I hate being educated!
Mrs. Marchmont. So do I. It puts one almost on a level with the commercial classes, doesn't it? But dear Gertrude Chiltern is always telling me that I should have some serious purpose in life. So I come here to try to find one.
Lady Basildon [Looking round through her lorgnette]. I don't see anybody here to-night whom one could possibly call a serious purpose. The man who took me in to dinner talked to me about his wife the whole time.
Mrs. Marchmont. How very trivial of him!
Lady Basildon. Terribly trivial!

Journal Entry 2 by xtrdnry at Two Doors Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, November 13, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (11/26/2020 UTC) at Two Doors Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 3 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, November 27, 2020
Caught today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmarmee463wing at Norton Community Library in Heidelberg Heights, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (12/2/2020 UTC) at Norton Community Library in Heidelberg Heights, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book -
Please let me know it is in safe hands by journalling that you have caught it, you are under no obligation to read it and Bookcrossing is completely anonymous.