Birdbrain

by Johanna Sinisalo | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0720613434 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingPaulanniwing of Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on 12/8/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingPaulanniwing from Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Tuesday, December 8, 2020
"This is a compelling exploration of the desire of tourists to conquer the world's last remaining pristine landscapes. A young Finnish couple - sports enthusiast Jyrki and his girlfriend Heidi - go on the hiking trip of a lifetime in Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand with Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness in their backpacks and the intention of being ecologically aware. As they attempt increasingly challenging trails their trek develops a sinister aspect as unsettling incidents occur." (from back cover)

217 p. Original in Finnish "Linnunaivot" (2008), translated by David Hackston (2010).

Journal Entry 2 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Thursday, December 10, 2020
I just read this book in Finnish and liked it a lot. It is set in an (for me) unknown environment. The nature of Tasmania presents its most beautiful and its roughest parts to the Finnish trekker couple, and even though I don't have any trekking experience, all the detailed descriptions were intense and kept my interest fully in the book. The mutual relationship between the two trekkers changes when the going gets hard, and there's something sinister in the air.

Johanna Sinisalo has brought many levels to her novel: the relationship between nature and people, environmental questions, and the development of the couple's relationship with each other. The end of the book left many things open to interpretation and kept lingering in my mind long after the last page. There are a lot of quotes from Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which also set a tone for the novel. And inspire me to put his book on my tbr list.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Monday, December 28, 2020
The book is travelling as part of the Favourite Book of 2020 Roundabout

9. mathgirl40 Canada
10. mcsar Canada
11. Valpete USA
12. Icila France

Journal Entry 4 by wingPaulanniwing at Favourite Book Roundabout, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 28, 2020

Released 9 mos ago (12/28/2020 UTC) at Favourite Book Roundabout, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

The book is ready to start its travel and is already on its way to grovalskii.
Have a great reading year 2021!

Journal Entry 5 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, January 4, 2021
Yay! The 2020 Fav roundabout has officially begun for me. Thanks for this first book, Paulanni. It sounds very interesting. Also, how thoughtful of you to include the bookmark calendar leaves!

Journal Entry 6 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, January 20, 2021
So, I finished the book a couple of days ago but I had to process first before I could write my comments. The book is written well enough. The subject matter could be super interesting, and IS interesting at times. I guess I just really did not like the character of Jurki and maybe that made me get hung up on things. What a self-centered person! He made me really angry at times, until the very end. But despite Jurki, it was a good book and I'm glad I had a chance to read it.

Off to the next reader (Fifna)!

Journal Entry 7 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 27, 2021
It has arrived safely, thanks grovalskii. And thank you very much indeed for those beautiful envelopes - they will certainly come in handy! And thank you Paulanni for my March bookmark!

Journal Entry 8 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, February 8, 2021
Such a strange story, but I did really enjoy it. Jyrki is indeed very self-centred. And yes, Heidi shouldn't have gone on a hiking trip like this on a whim and without training, but his disdain towards her is horrible. He actually never refers to her by name in his parts of the narrative, just 'she' and 'her'.
The alternating points of view are good, as you get their differing views on each situation, especially interesting when weird things start happening. I could have done without the storyline of the brother - I think that was just trying to be a bit too clever.
I think the moral of this story is: don't take on Mother Nature - you're not going to win.
Another good pick for the roundabout: a book I would likely never have come across otherwise - thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingFifnawing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 13, 2021

Released 8 mos ago (2/13/2021 UTC) at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom

On its way to dark-draco!

Journal Entry 10 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 22, 2021
Received ... thank you

Journal Entry 11 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2021
What?

Hmmm, ok, so I've just finished reading this (was actually late for work as I was trying to finish it off) and was that what it was all building up to?

Back track a bit and I was really enjoying the read. The style took a bit of getting used to and, to be honest, I gave up trying to keep up with the switches in timeline (or even working out why the author had bothered!), but I found it very readable. It did surprise me that there weren't more descriptive pieces about the country the two are hiking through, but there was enough to keep me interested in where they were going. The two main characters aren't exactly likeable, but they seem real enough to invest some reading time in, and you do wonder how their relationship will survive the trip.

But all the way through, the story was hinting at something - some big reveal or hidden character or just something to actually happen. Instead, the single bit of really heart-pounding, scary action is dealt with in two pages at the end and you never really find out what happened.

So, for me, a good enough read, let down by a disappointing conclusion.

Released 5 mos ago (5/18/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

OMG, I am so sorry. I thought I'd posted this ages ago :( Off to the next reader now.

Journal Entry 13 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2021
Thanks. It’s here.

Journal Entry 14 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 1, 2021
A very good choice for this year’s roundabout. Like Grovalskii says, there is a lot to think about with the themes and the ending, which I liked for its obfuscation. Especially liked the references to Té Anau, where we spent a happy week a few years ago.

Released 4 mos ago (6/1/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Just in time for June! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 5, 2021
Arrived today. Thank you.

Journal Entry 17 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 17, 2021
After the introduction of Jyrki in Lapland, I couldn’t get past the thought that he was a complete and utter pig (avoiding the title misogynist). I understand the message he had in wanting to save the planet but he came across as very preachy which will put many people off altogether. Apart from that he is traipsing around the continent along a route with thousands of other hikers ruining the countryside/rain forest/etc. It was commented that the Tasmanian South Coast Track had “worn patches on both sides of the river beneath the trees”. The destruction of the landscape by hiking tourists is hinted at later with comments by Heidi such as “this is clearly more worn away and more in use than any of the other campsites” and Jyrki doesn’t seem to understand that he is doing as much damage as others. Finally, I didn’t know why the switches in time were necessary, or the introduction of her brother into the story.

Journal Entry 18 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, August 19, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/3/2021 UTC) at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom

Poodlesister is in Edinburgh soon so I will hand it over to her.

Journal Entry 19 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 4, 2021
Thanks earthcaroleanne

Journal Entry 20 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2021
I found this a frustrating read. I enjoyed the descriptions of the land and wildlife, Jyrki is a jerk and not very likeable, there was something compelling about the way the book was written but for me it was ultimately unsatisfying.

Released 5 days ago (10/10/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This will be travelling on to greenbadger very soon.

Journal Entry 22 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 14, 2021
It's arrived, thank you!
It seems there are mixed opinions, I am interested to find out more. I really liked Troll: A Love Story by the same author.