The Joy of Lex

Yours always
by Gyles Brandreth | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/21/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 21, 2021
I found this hardcover on the book-swap shelf in the Tyngsboro MA post office lobby. It's a celebration of word-play in many forms, from puns to epitaphs, acrostics to Bierce's Devil's Dictionary, graffiti to metaphor. It contains such things as Lewis Carroll's "The Mouse's Tale", a poem formatted so as to resemble an actual tail, trailing from narrow at the top to very, very narrow at the tip; zingers from Dorothy Parker and Oscar Wilde; and some very unusual words, including "Xeme", which titles a section on rating one's vocabulary via a series of word-lists of escalating challenge. [I did pretty well, though there were plenty of words in the lists that I did not recognize - including "xeme", which turns out to be a kind of gull. Good to know! ]

Definitely the kind of book to dip into at random, or at least at intervals, rather than plowing straight through. Oh, another entertaining bit: the chapters are arranged alphabetically (though the choice of title is sometimes a bit labored in order to make it fit) - but once it hits "Z" the chapters continue, reversing back down the alphabet again to the beginning!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Hibiscus Ave in Waltham, Massachusetts USA on Friday, January 22, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/23/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hibiscus Ave in Waltham, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Clean Start for the New Year challenge. ***