Quatermass and the Pit

He spent his time reading
by Kim Newman | Entertainment | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/30/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 30, 2021
I got this softcover from an online seller. I really love the 1967 film Quatermass and the Pit (released in the US as "Five Million Years to Earth"), and would love to find a copy of the novelization. But this book, an overview of the film and other "Quatermass" adaptations by author Kim Newman, sounds intriguing in its own right.

Later: This was more technical than I'd expected - still with lots of interesting tidbits, but clearly more for film scholars than casual fans. It includes comments on other adaptations - of this story and of the other "Quatermass" works - as well as background on the various actors, directors, screen writers, and crew. Snippets about special effects, changes in characterization, lots of practical "why they did it that way" stuff...

I enjoyed some of the compare-and-contrast, and the bits that focused on the reactions of cast and crew to the different productions - and also to the digressions into other works by the same creators. I'd recently enjoyed the low-tech but impressive "The Stone Tape", another Nigel Kneale story adapted to the screen, and was pleased to see it turn up in several spots in this book. And I was surprised to learn that Kneale did some of the writing for the "Season of the Witch" entry in the "Halloween" franchise - I enjoyed that film even though (or perhaps because) it did not use the "Michael Meyers" character or settings at all, and had an eerie Stonehenge/cultist theme of its own.

Quite a few photos, some on-set, some stills from the finished films, enhance the text. Could be of interest to anyone who likes to peek behind the scenes of film-making, and/or has a specific interest in this one.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the Quatermass franchise, with comments on this film among other things.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Ely Rd. in Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 28, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/28/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Ely Rd. in Arlington, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in a new-to-me Little Free Library while visiting LFLs in Lexington and Arlington; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes challenge, for the embedded "ass" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2021 52 Towns in 52 Weeks challenge. ***