The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London

Books Are Original
by Christopher Skaife | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/27/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 27, 2021
I found this hardcover on the book swap shelf in the Tyngsboro MA post office lobby. It's a memoir by the Yeoman Warder Ravenmaster at the Tower of London, featuring the famed ravens, their history, quirks, care and feeding, and a number of tidbits about raven-themed mythology, ravens in media, and more. The photos are great fun, some showing the birds up close and personal - and there's a shot of the memorial to the ravens that have passed on.

The book's quite chatty and affable, very enjoyable to read. Whether detailing the rules of "Team Raven" (which start with "DO NOT hurry the ravens"), giving the biographies of the Tower's current ravens, describing feeding time ("a nice fat rat'll do a raven all day"), or what happens when a raven goes missing, he's vastly entertaining - and he throws in lots of personal memoirs as well, making the whole thing feel like a very pleasant chat.

Released 1 mo ago (2/28/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd [OBCZ] in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in my Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Great Backyard Bird Count challenge (see www.birdcount.org to join the count). ***