Halfway to Heaven

Where's this book been?
by Mark Obmascik | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/13/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 13, 2021
I got this hardcover from an online seller, for another release copy. It's about a Colorado man who starts out doing some climbing as a father-son bonding experience, and then decides to tackle all of the 14,000-foot-or-higher peaks in Colorado - in a single year!

The book is primarily light-hearted, but it doesn't duck away from the more perilous aspects of climbing. Even fairly easily climbs can be hazardous, and some of the peaks that the author tackles have a significant death toll. But the focus of the book is on the motivation to set such a goal - and many of the practical details involved in trying to achieve it. Not that the book's a how-to-climb guide, but it does take us through situations of finding climbing partners, getting to the sites (not always easy), managing equipment, etc.

It's not all work; the author revels in the physical activity involved, in the beauty of the outdoors - and of the ability to bathe and relax after getting home again. I can't say that the book made me want to try and tackle this many climbs, but it did make me consider the possibility of trying one easy climb one of these days! [I've actually been up one of the mountains that the author climbed - Pike's Peak - but I drove up that one {grin}.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/19/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library outside the Adult Learning Center; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]