The Prison Doctor

by AMANDA BROWN | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingdaffodil-2wing of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 10/27/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingdaffodil-2wing from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 27, 2020
This paperback was given to me by my friend Audrey W. for bookcrossing. I have quite recently read and enjoyed another copy of the book so am saving this one for a RABCK.
The book tells the true story of a doctor who treats the inmates in the UK's most infamous prisons. "Despite their crimes, she is still their doctor".

Journal Entry 2 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 06, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (11/10/2020 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be travelling in the post to another bookcrosser as a RABCK.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 16, 2020
Thank you so much for my unbirthday parcel - what a lovely surprise...& I do love a chunky kitkat, the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea & a book ;o)

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 13, 2021
While this was an interesting look at the life of a prison doctor, I've mixed feelings about it. There's no doubt the doctor had to deal with some horrifying situations - I found the opening chapter dealing with an inmate giving birth particularly shocking - but at times I found her attitude to the inmates a bit strange. She stresses at times the importance of not getting involved with the inmates yet also talks about giving them hugs!

The book covers three sections each covering a different period of the Dr's working life. After tending to young offenders she moves onto a mens prison before finishing at a womans. I generally have little sympathy for those in prison being of the mind "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" but so many of the women prisoners were victims themselves, ending up inside due to abusive relationships, pushed into prostitution &/or drug taking.

Given the subject matter, I found it an easy enough read but I think that's because the language is pretty simple (a bit amateurish on some ocassions if I'm brutally honest! ), & a lot of the time I felt the Dr was wanting praise for just doing her job, sort of "Look at me & what I do, aren't I good?"

Overall, it was an interesting read & a bit of an eye opener at times. Thanks for sharing it daff :o)

Released 1 mo ago (4/13/2021 UTC) at by mail / post / courier, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On its way to dolph1n - enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2021
Thank you. Yours are on their way.