The Girl with Seven Names: Escape from North Korea

by Hyeonseo Lee | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingsakirmowing of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 10/10/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingsakirmowing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, October 10, 2020
17-year old girl escapes to China in 1997

Journal Entry 2 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, November 30, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (11/30/2020 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Wishlist surprise :)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 3 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Thursday, December 17, 2020
Thank you so much for this surprise - it made my day. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, January 31, 2021
Reserved for schwester after reading.

Journal Entry 5 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (2/2/2021 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

The book is on the way to Vienna now...happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Sunday, February 07, 2021
Thanks a lot! I've read a few North Korean stories some years ago, so let's see how this one fits in.

Journal Entry 7 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Thursday, February 11, 2021
I've just started, but it's great. I like the style a lot.
"...Vinylon - a synthetic fibre, used in uniforms, that was invented in North Korea. It was achievement we were so proud of that patriotic songs were sung about it. It held dye badly, shrank easily, wa stiff and uncomfortable to wear, but it was marvellously flame-resistent."

Journal Entry 8 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Friday, February 12, 2021
Oh wow - this has been part of all the North Korean stories, but it is quite an impression anyway: crossing the border and reaching the free world: China! Of course it's always a question of comparison, but China as the peak of freedom, this says a lot.

Journal Entry 9 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Saturday, February 13, 2021
I really liked that book, this is a totally crazy story with a LOT of luck. The author is my age, and I this was especially strange, to remember what I had done at the time she was on that hell ride through the years.

Journal Entry 10 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Monday, February 15, 2021
I thought I´ll have a look at the satellite photos of Hyesan & Changbai on google maps. Ha! Google got something wrong over there... the border is somehow off the river and the street on the Chinese side of the border/river is off a little more, so that border, river and street cross quite a lot of times, giving the impression this border is something like an innereuropean actually nonexistent border (as we have seen with the Covid-border-closures, they go through ski jumps and school yards).

Journal Entry 11 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Monday, February 15, 2021

Released 2 wks ago (2/15/2021 UTC) at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria

sent back to Finland, as a little extra to the tag game - after all you cannot send a BC parcel without a book!