Islander

by Patrick Barkham | Travel |
ISBN: 1783781904 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/7/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 07, 2020
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 07, 2020
Britain is an archipelago made up of two large islands and 6,289 smaller ones.

Our small islands are places of freedom and imprisonment, party destinations and oases of peace, strangely suburban and deeply wild. As he travels to ever-smaller islands in search of their particular magic, Patrick Barkham meets all kinds of islanders, from nuns to puffins, from dropouts to a rare subspecies of vole and begins to discover what it is like to be an islander himself.

Journal Entry 3 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 15, 2020
I didn't finish this. I started off quite enjoying the Tomb of the Eagles especially having visited last year. I was a bit annoyed by the constant mention of Compton Mackenzie and DH Lawrence but moreso when the Barra chapter more or less turned into a Compton Mackenzie biography. Why did we need to know about his life in Edinburgh in a book about Islands? The he popped up again in the St Kilda chapter. Not because he had been there but he'd been to Skye! I gave up at that point.

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, October 15, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/23/2020 UTC) at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom

I forgot to give Poodlesister some books while she was up visiting but it gives me the chance to send this wishlist book to her as well.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, October 24, 2020
A surprise wishlist book RABCK in a box of books and presents. Thank you!