Dreams from My Father

by BARACK OBAMA | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingschwesterwing of Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on 10/5/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingschwesterwing from Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Monday, October 05, 2020
I bought this book in 2007 in Mainz while living in Darmstadt and read it back then.
I did not remember much but as I just read Dance of the Jakaranda I somehow thought I'd reread this one. Up to page 286 where I am currently reading, there has not been much about Kenya (maybe it's still to come or I just did not remember it correctly) but it is interesting nevertheless.
It is a lot about being black in the US, mixed heritage, growing up without a father - all things I don't know much about. But very interesting for me, it is also so very foreign for me in its US american ways, I see much more difference between my life and the US life than between a black and a white US life. But maybe I this is just my perspective.
Also since learning about the Nuremberg laws when I was a teenager I am unable to see any reasonable definition of any race. For any "race" you may find some individuals perfectly fitting the definition, and a huge lot will be in between. Just because they are in between. Which makes the whole definition nonsense, doesn't it?! I can see racism, but I really can't see the races. But maybe that's just a theoretical problem, when there are enough practical issues.

And as always I stand in front of the religious parts of this book with deeply felt perplexity.

So I remembered correctly and the part about Kenya started some pages later, and even mentioned the railway (from the Jakaranda book). And btw I completely lost track with the African relatives.

Journal Entry 2 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Friday, October 30, 2020

Released 4 mos ago (10/30/2020 UTC) at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria

sent on for the non fiction sweeps

Journal Entry 3 by winggaboydwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, November 19, 2020
Recieved today, with a knitted carry bag & postcard.
GreenBagLady.org

Journal Entry 4 by winggaboydwing at Supervalue supermarket in Mandeville, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, January 22, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/22/2021 UTC) at Supervalue supermarket in Mandeville, Canterbury New Zealand

Released while heading home