The Count of Monte Cristo

by Alexandre Dumas | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/29/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2020
I found this hefty softcover in this Little Free Library in Newburyport MA while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy.

The story of The Count of Monte Cristo, which I first read many years ago, has usually been reworked in the many film versions; for some reason, nobody seems to think that movie audiences would appreciate the way things work out in the book, so the ending usually gets modified! I have enjoyed several of the film versions, including the 2002 film starring Jim Caviezel, but would recommend the book as well, as it takes our hero through some surprising journeys on his road to revenge for his lost life. The elements of love, betrayal, suffering, unimaginable treasure, and darkly satisfying revenge are all very appealing...

I do admit that the unabridged novel has lengthy passages that seem to have little to do with the plot; whether the entirety of Franz's drug-induced sensual dreams are needed to convey the power of the mysterious Count or are there to tantalize the audience isn't clear, but it's a very lush chapter {wry grin}.

There are lighter notes here and there, in spite of the massive doses of cruelty and injustice and revenge; at one point Albert, joyfully inviting the Count to a party, tells him the local gossip about him - including one lady's description of him as "Lord Ruthven", famous fictional vampire. (This is closer to the truth than Albert has any notion, but it's still amusing in context. Even more amusing, this side remark was one of the factors influencing the delightful anime adaptation Gankutsuou.)

The whole work is a fascinating story of friendship, love, betrayal, and almost unimaginable patience and persistence leading to a thorough, justified (in my view, anyway) revenge. It's very dark - the collateral damage includes terrible suffering by many innocent parties - but it's also very human. Recommended!

[I enjoyed an excellent unabridged audiobook version of this novel. And I've also come across Gankutsuou, an anime film based on the story, but set in the future... It's surprisingly faithful to the novel, but with a few intriguing changes; I recommend it very, very highly. There's also a manga version that's somewhat different from the anime. Oh, and the TV Tropes page for the novel has some entertaining items - but beware of spoilers.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 214 Main St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (10/1/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, 214 Main St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library near the Church of the Good Shepherd; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 September Sapphire challenge. ***