On the Road

by Jack KEROUAC | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MRZECKER of Leominster, Massachusetts USA on 9/24/2020
Journal Entry 1 by MRZECKER from Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 24, 2020
I had not read this book since I was sixteen, and truthfully I am glad that I picked it up again and was able to accompany Sal on his adventures once more. To be honest, I remembered not thinking that there was anything particularly *special* about it besides the elements of the landscape, and I frankly didn't find it all that interesting... But now, I realize that it was a crime that I approached it at such a young age and I am just reading it again now. The unfortunate-ness of a lack of life experiences and my unwillingness to really have anything in common with the characters could be forgiven considering I had nothing in my life that I could possibly compare it to, but having met and interacted with all of the wonderful people in my life, visited the places and saw a lot of the things he saw, and truly observed and experienced so much more, I can truly say that this is a fantastic book. If I could change one thing about it, I would say that it is lacking in its structure in how many times it dashes across the country as well as its lack of direction and plot structure at times; considering it is a novel and not supposed to be a memoir I am not sure how forgiving I can be, but then again... One thing I like about it is that it is not sorry for the fast narrative at the beginning, but that Kerouac takes his time when he is making a point, delivering philosophy and theme, and that in terms of the momentum of the book he does it perfectly.

Journal Entry 2 by MRZECKER at Little Free Library, Electric Ave. in Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 24, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/24/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Electric Ave. in Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA

Good luck in the wild, bud!