The Mermaid Chair

by Sue Monk Kidd | Women's Fiction |
Registered by vanbiohazard of North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 9/22/2020
Journal Entry 1 by vanbiohazard from North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Solid three and half. Not sure how much I liked the story, but I did like the writing.

Journal Entry 2 by vanbiohazard at Burnaby Library in Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (9/22/2020 UTC) at Burnaby Library in Burnaby, British Columbia Canada

Releasing at our in person socially distanced meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by Strude at Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Saints and mermaids? Monks and psychiatrists? Twenty years into a marriage many people rethink their priorities and themselves. I don't think MS Kidd stresses Jessie's marital situation enough. She appears to have been belittled by her husband that whole time because she isn't medically trained so when she tries to express her feelings about her mother's condition Hugh doesn't really pay much attention and gives a professional opinion - at a distance. Psychiatry really seems to put names to patterns and feelings with which we are pretty well acquainted and merely gives us suggestions as to possible directions in which we could move.
I liked Jessie's feeling about the art boxes she made, stories captured neatly into containers where she could control them. It's only once she is in an environment in which she can't control what is going on that she learns about going with the flow, or in this case, letting the tide take her. Her art suddenly becomes painting in much larger scale and on unexamined feelings within her heart.
Brother Thomas is in the same shaky situation after his wife's tragic death. He doesn't want to break out but rather pull himself in to the equivalent of Jessie's boxes. I am surprised at the abbot suggesting Thomas should be considering final vows, even though what should be an appropriate amount of time has passed and presumably he has been examined and encouraged to examine himself. He is far too much involved outside the abbey for an unprofessed monk. He is unsupervised for considerable lengths of time and I suppose the reason that would be given is that the work needed to be done if the income was to continue and too many of the monks are too old to be able to do it well. Perhaps the location was not best chosen for the abbey in the first place.
I enjoyed this visit to an unknown area and the thinking that resulted from the characters' situations. I wonder how Jessie's brother would have come out of it all.
So pleased to have received a book in a real place & time.