Small Great Things

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 034554496X Global Overview for this book
Registered by Matty of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 9/21/2020
Journal Entry 1 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, September 21, 2020
I received this book from a friend. Although I have enjoyed reading some of Picoult’s previous novels, I was a little skeptical about this one at first. I really wasn’t sure about how a white woman was going to write about anti-black racism in the US without it veering into cultural appropriation or other cringy territory.

The book itself is well written but is emotionally a tough read. I loved how the author was able to use the tropes (white supremicist and model minority) to make the point that racism isn’t a dichotomy but a spectrum.

I read this right after reading White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo and it was definitely an interesting combination that helped me to think about the topic in a fictional (but realistic) context.

Journal Entry 2 by Matty at Millennium Library in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, September 21, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/21/2020 UTC) at Millennium Library in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I’ll take this book to our meet up at the Millennium Library Park to see if anyone there wants to take it on some new adventures.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, September 23, 2020
I picked this up from Matty at our meet-up, despite the same feelings of skepticism. White woman of privilege writing about Black experience. Hmm. So like Matty I began Googling for the reaction of the Black writing community. Roxanne Gay wasn't too too harsh with her for trying, so I'll see how it goes. Mind you I am the target audience. Thanks Matty.