The Pirate Cruncher

by Jonny Duddle | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/18/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 18, 2020
I got this hardcover from an online seller. It's a darkly funny book in which a tentacled monstrosity effectively sends a phishing message to some pirates, tempting them with promises of treasure but intending to devour them... "My dear fellow pirate, Do ye want to be rich? ... Just follow this map to claim yer prize." Yes indeedy!

Assorted pirates hear the news and imagine their own versions of treasure, from solid gold teeth for the toothless pirate to a bag of peanuts for the parrot. (There are some subtle details in the illustrations that will repay close attention - for example, the strings on the mad roving fiddler who's describing the map... I also liked such touches as the skull-design teapot and toast-rack, the teddy bear with eyepatch and hook, and the appearance of a tentacle or two at the edges of the illustrations!)

The "pirate cruncher" of the title is the legendary (?) beast alleged to guard the treasure, a beast that "can swallow whole ships in its whirlpool jaws (though they say it's allergic to scarlet macaws)". The stories terrify most of the crew, who have nightmares about a variety of possible monsters - but Captain Purplebeard won't be deterred.

Since the cover-art pretty much gives it away, the ending shouldn't be a surprise - but I admit I was in delighted awe at the double-page illustration of the actual pirate cruncher!

Released 1 mo ago (9/19/2020 UTC) at Dunstable Common (see release notes for details) in Dunstable, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the gazebo on the town common on this lovely day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 You're Such an Animal challenge, for the embedded "rat" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Talk Like a Pirate challenge, in honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19. Arrghh! ***