City of Djinns

by William Dalrymple | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0142001007 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 9/18/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, September 18, 2020
Duplicate copy; the other is on Mt. TBR.
Amazon:
City of Djinns is the portrait of a city as has never been attempted before. Meeting an extraordinary array of characters, from the city's elusive eunuchs to the embattled descendants of the great Moghuls, from the nouveauriche Punjabis to the last witnesses of the British Raj, and investigating the resonances of these people and their ways with the India of the past, this is a unique and dazzling feat of research and adventure by one of the finest writers of his generation.
Watched over and protected by the mischievous djinns - spirits invisible to the naked eye, 'like us in all things, but fashioned from fire' - Delhi has been saved many times over the centuries. From the desolate, run-down graveyards in which partridge-fighting has drawn crowds for hundreds of years to the exquisite palaces of the old city which now lie empty and crumbling, Dalrymple comes to know this bewildering place intimately. He conveys the magical nature of this city at the meeting point of all the great cultures of South Asia, a city that has been destroyed and rebuilt, forever being reborn under the care of its guardian djinns.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, September 18, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/18/2020 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling to fulfill a wish.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, September 23, 2020
Oh, what a surprise!! This book from my wishlist arrived with a wishlist partner yesterday. I'm stunned! Thank you for the books, the labels, bookmarks and the note. I'll answer you by PM asap.
I'm looking forward to reading this book, thank you for sending it out!