My Purple Scented Novel

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNakipawing of Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on 9/6/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingNakipawing from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, September 06, 2020
" Short story published in the March 28, 2016 Edition of The New Yorker. Also available to read online.

‘You will have heard of my friend the once celebrated novelist Jocelyn Tarbet, but I suspect his memory is beginning to fade…You’d never heard of me, the once obscure novelist Parker Sparrow, until my name was publicly connected with his. To a knowing few, our names remain rigidly attached, like the two ends of a seesaw. His rise coincided with, though did not cause, my decline… I don’t deny there was wrongdoing. I stole a life, and I don’t intend to give it back. You may treat these few pages as a confession.’

A jewel of a book: a brand new short story from the author of Atonement. My Purple Scented Novel follows the perfect crime of literary betrayal, scrupulously wrought yet unscrupulously executed, published to celebrate Ian McEwan’s 70th birthday."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, September 08, 2020
This is a really tiny book, read in just 20 minutes while waiting for lunch time. It's a good story, where the vilain gets what he wants without consequences... which is refreshing.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, September 10, 2020

Released 5 mos ago (9/10/2020 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

This tiny book was passed on to ApoloniaX on another lovely meeting in Lisboa... I think you'll read this one really quick.

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Lisboa - Campo Pequeno, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, September 11, 2020
Thanks a lot - for three books and a great meet-up!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Lisboa - Avenidas Novas, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, September 12, 2020
Yes, this didn't take me long - read it over a glass of fresh melon juice on a hot day sitting in the Gulbenkian Park café. And I agree, a good story. Deserves its own little book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Saturday, September 26, 2020

Released 5 mos ago (9/26/2020 UTC) at Porto - City, Porto Portugal

Great to meet you! Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by irus at Bragança, Bragança Portugal on Monday, October 05, 2020
It's incredible how such a short book can transmit so many things: friendship, envy, ambition, betrayal.
It was read first by NatureTraveller (who didn't make a JE) and now me.
And hope that it will make the delights of many other readers...

Thanks ApoloniaX. It was a short but lovely meeting.