The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter

by Katherine Anne Porter | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by debnance of Alvin, Texas USA on 9/6/2020
Journal Entry 1 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Sunday, September 6, 2020
“It was, I think, the fact that I had participated in death and I knew what death was and had almost experienced it,” she continued. “Now, if you have had that, and survived it, come back from it, you are no longer like other people, and there’s no use deceiving yourself that you are.”

Katherine Anne Porter spoke in a 1963 interview about the time she contracted influenza during the 1919 resurgence of the pandemic. Subsequently, she wrote the novella for which she is most famous, Pale Horse, Pale Rider.

I came to this collection intrigued by the pandemic theme of this story and by the fact that Porter is a Texan, but I left with a deep appreciation for Porter's writing. Porter sees the world and she writes just what she sees. She doesn't stick to writing from within her own narrow culture of her time, either; somehow she is able to sneak little glimpses of other cultures, too.

V. S. Pritchett wrote of Porter in the New Statesman: "Miss Porter's singularity as a writer is in her truthful explorations of a complete consciousness of life. Her prose is severe and exact; her ironies are subtle but hard...." Yes.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, August 29, 2021
Okay, so I got the book box back mid-pandemic. Pandemic sucked out much of my enthusiasm for anything and I have never logged any of the books.

I am finally feeling ready to start another round of the book box. PM me if you are interested. This book has only been seen by a few people, so it will be included.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, September 18, 2021

Released 2 hrs ago (9/18/2021 4:00 PM UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is off on adventures in the Bookish Book Box.