Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

by Cho Nam-Joo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 8/31/2020
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 31, 2020
When Kim Jiyoung starts impersonating other people without knowing she's doing it, her husband knows something is wrong. But he can't even start to uncover the depths of what has gone wrong for Jiyoung, as she grows up in South Korea where girls and women are constantly disadvantaged, harassed and discriminated against. The treatment of women in modern Korean society as described here is shocking, but also not very far removed from what goes on in the West. It's a short book but with a strong message.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 12, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (10/12/2020 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to livrespublic as my RABCK for September.

Journal Entry 3 by Livrespublic at Málaga, Málaga Spain on Monday, October 19, 2020
KImJiyoung, born 1982
arrived in Spain. Very curious to read it.

Journal Entry 4 by Livrespublic at Málaga, Málaga Spain on Friday, November 20, 2020
Great book with strong arguments. Unfortunately very conservative traditions , discriminatory behaviour and a huge gender gap still to find in many places of the world, so the author is right: Kim Jiyoung is every woman and unfortunately every woman can become ill because of that.

Journal Entry 5 by Livrespublic at ., -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Spain on Friday, November 20, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (11/23/2020 UTC) at ., -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Spain

Not on a wishlist but Secret Santa knows that somebody else might be interested in this book. So he will take it and will bring hopefully in time to the next reader.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, January 9, 2021
Such a thoughtful secret santa to remember interests and preferences beyond the wishlist. Thank you so much for this excellent selection and for all the lovely gifts. I am spoiled by your kindness.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Monday, September 20, 2021
My secret santa got it so right about my taste in books. I really enjoyed the book, and had I known about the book, it would probably have been on my wishlist. It is sad that despite all the gender equality laws, entrenched ideas and norms continue to keep women behind. Loved the ironic ending.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, October 2, 2021

Released 9 mos ago (10/2/2021 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

Wishing you a very happy birthday! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Thanks very much for the wishlist book. I think I entered for this particular copy when greenbadger offered it last September.

Journal Entry 10 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 30, 2021
The kind of book I enjoy but it makes me feel very angry. A clever way to present the facts about sexism and misogyny in a society. It really humanises what could be dry statistics.

Reserved for jeniwren

Journal Entry 11 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Wishlist tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Released 6 mos ago (12/29/2021 UTC) at Wishlist tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A wishlist tag book going to jeniwren

Journal Entry 12 by jeniwren at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 5, 2022
Arrived in my mailbox today and fairly quickly considering the time of year. Thankyou for the tag as this has been high on my wants and especially grateful for the labels as I am running low of those. Happy New Year :)

Journal Entry 13 by jeniwren at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 1, 2022
Just requested from the OZVBB so I placed on the top of the TBR for reading after my current bookgroup read.

Journal Entry 14 by jeniwren at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 16, 2022
Quite a depressing read about the status of women in South Korea. Not so far removed from various other countries and the clear gender bias that continues to see women as lesser disadvantaged citizens.

Journal Entry 15 by jeniwren at Bunbury, Western Australia Australia on Monday, May 16, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (5/16/2022 UTC) at Bunbury, Western Australia Australia

Requested via the OzVBB.

Journal Entry 16 by leah152 at Bunbury, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, May 18, 2022
Came in the mail today, yay!!!