The Girl on the Train

by Paula Hawkins | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingCassandra2020wing of Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on 1/21/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassandra2020wing from Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2021
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID).

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, Cassandra2020, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry then a release note: either 'controlled' if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a 'wild' release if you are leaving it somewhere hoping for anyone to catch.

Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2021
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - OKish, disappointing

This should have been right up my street, but somehow I struggled to read it. Now that's not quite right. Whenever I picked it up, I flew through the pages, it's just that I really couldn't be bothered to pick it up very often. Took me ages to read when you look at the start to finish dates, but really it only took a few sessions of reading.

Anyway, the story. Narrated by three women: Rachel, an alcoholic who daydreams about the people and houses she sees through the train window, Anna, the woman who replaced her in her husband's life, and Megan, the woman she sees most often through the train window. One day, Megan disappears and Rachel thinks she knows something about it, but she's judged an unreliable witness due to her alcoholic black outs and whilst her evidence is followed up, she is quickly discounted.

Again, this should really appeal as I've spent many a commute looking into the houses I pass and the people I share my commute with (in particular: the lady in the red anorak....but that's another story), but it was just all too predictable. I hadn't read any spoilers or seen the film and I was led to believe there was a twist in the tail (or should it be tale?), but I found it predictable. I knew who the murderer was fairly early in the book and kept hoping for a twist to disprove it. Nah. I was right and that is really disappointing.

(And now 'The lady in the red anorak': she caught the same bus as me every morning. Sat in the same seat each day. When the bus approached the Blood Transfusion Centre, she would look up and wave to a man standing outside it, then he would turn and walk back inside as the bus moved on. Always intrigued me and might well be a better story!)

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassandra2020wing at Little Free Library - Roslin in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 23, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/23/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library - Roslin in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 26, 2021
Retrieved from LFL