Circle Line

Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 8/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, August 11, 2020
too intriguing to miss. Found at the bookshop at the foot of the cathedral stairs. Paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, August 16, 2020
Though I know nothing about sailing and very little about London and its waterways, I enjoyed this entertaining little book about one man's odyssey around the city - well, around the northern part; it wouldn't be possible to sail all around the metropolis. The journey is not immensely long, so the narrative is padded out with various nautical and historical passages, and explanations of terms such as baggywrinkles which are "furry, improvised socks wrapped around ropes [or should that be sheets] to stop them chafing". The views of modern London are candid and unvarnished.

I would have liked a real map, rather than the sketch at the beginning where most of the important landmarks are missing. And in one place the centuries are mixed up: 1898 is not the end of the 20th century.

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, August 17, 2020
He mentions a book about the rivers in London which I think was next to it on the bookshop shelf. Maybe I'll nip in and buy it next time I venture into town.

Added: I did nip in, but too late, someone else has nabbed it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, August 17, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (8/18/2020 UTC) at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

Sending to a bookcrosser who has it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, August 21, 2020
Thank you so much for this wonderful surprise! The book came in the mail today, with a tote bag and pictures from the Wine Festival.
As we're still not travelling too much, at least I can visit London through books - missing it big time!