Before We Were Yours

by Lisa Wingate | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingchrissiniwing of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 8/9/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingchrissiniwing from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, August 09, 2020
Memphis, 1939. Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.

Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancé, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption.

This book was ordered for me by echode for the Wings or Wishlist Sweepstakes - June/July 2020. Thank you so much :))

Journal Entry 2 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, August 26, 2020
I enjoyed the book very much. I love how the story was something different.
What happened with these children is horrible of course. :(
There were some books listed for further reading regarding this topic which I think is great, too.

This book will go to Icila as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Friday, August 28, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (8/28/2020 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

On the way to France now.
Happy travelling and happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, September 10, 2020
Thank you for the surprise ! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, October 10, 2020
Very interesting book regarding both topics : the shantyboats people and the children market.

Reserved for my October offer in greenbadger's "One book a month offered 2020"

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (11/17/2020 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

Dropped in the post-office towards dutch-book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, November 26, 2020
Thank you Icila! These are the kind of books I usually enjoy a lot. I'm very much looking forward to the read.