The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 8/8/2020
Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, August 08, 2020
It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will be busier still.
By her brother's graveside, Liesel's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Gravedigger's Handbook, left behind there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.
But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

Picked up from a little library in Gundaroo Park (showground), Gundaroo, NSW.

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, August 08, 2020
I have copied my review from 2014 here.
A well written book that kept me turning the pages. I liked Death as the narrator and thought s/he was well done. The only thing that I didn't like was having Max endangered when Liesel kept running to him as he was 'paraded' through the town. I know she missed him and loved him, but it was bringing him to the attention of the guards. I am surprised he survived that and I found her behaviour selfish...but I guess she was really still a child. I took a star off my rating of the book.

Released into the LFL in Bundeela Street, Narrabundah, ACT. Enjoy, and it's really appreciated if you can please log this book to let previous readers know it has found a new reader, and where it travels to next. Then we can all follow its journey. Thank you 🙂.

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found (even anonymously). It is always a joy to find where it has gone. Once you've read this book, pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did.
You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please consider using - Goldenwattle as your referrer.
When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.

More information on BookCrossing