The Thing About Jellyfish

by Ali Benjamin | Children's Books |
Registered by Badgerjim of Augusta, Maine USA on 7/31/2020
Journal Entry 1 by Badgerjim from Augusta, Maine USA on Friday, July 31, 2020
I picked this book up at the LFL in Manchester to release here at home. But I found someone in Ohio who had it on her wish list, and so I sent it there.

Journal Entry 2 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 08, 2020
Thanks for sending this my way! I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 15, 2020
I feel like this author is my kindred spirit. I am fascinated by jellyfish, but it's never been for all the scientific reasons; I just think they're beautiful--and dangerous. I've stepped on plenty of jellyfish in my teen years on the Jersey shore.

But now that I've learned so many fascinating facts about them in this book, I have a whole new appreciation!

I am drawn to middle-grade books that really show us the confusion and angst of those painful years. Reading of a girl who was a little bit of a late bloomer, a tender-hearted misfit who'd cherished her friendship with her best friend, and didn't understand how they'd started to grow apart. Then having this girl grieve for her best friend and regret the horrible last interaction between them that she never got a chance to talk to her friend about again -- so poignant.

I loved this book. The writing and the foil of the jellyfish.