Final Cuts: New Tales of Hollywood Horror and Other Spectacles

by Ellen Datlow | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/24/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 24, 2020
I couldn't resist this softcover anthology of weird fiction inspired by cinema, TV, and new media. Among my favorites:

"Drunk Physics" by Kelley Armstrong features ghostly vengeance over a YouTube conflict - a bit too believable as far as the trolling goes, though I hope we don't have to worry about actual ghosts adding to the pressure!

"Scream Queen" by Nathan Ballingrud is about a wannabe filmmaker interviewing a septuagenarian "scream queen" who worked with some of the greats in one classic film - a film that has spawned legends as to the true nature of the satanic ritual performed. The interviewer persists in tracking down everything he can find about the key scene - and comes to regret it.

"Night of the Living" by Paul Cornell, mixing dreams and a potentially cursed movie - that some people seek out.

"Insanity Among Penguins" by Brian Hodge opens with a description of a documentary showing that sometimes a single penguin will turn away from the life-giving sea and march inland, clearly dooming itself. From there the story leads the protagonist to a famous filmmaker with some disturbing ideas of his own. Very atmospheric.

"Lords of the Matinee" by Stephen Graham Jones takes an unexpected turn: a man is escorting his aged father-in-law to the movies while his wife cleans the apartment, and gives the hearing-assisted channel a try, only to find that he's hearing things that shouldn't be there. Poignant and intriguingly strange.

"A Ben Evans Film" by Josh Malerman is a nifty little chiller about someone so obsessed with creating the perfect film that he does unspeakable things - but we see it all through his eyes, for a discomfiting shift.

"Many Mouths to Make a Meal" by Garth Nix is a delightfully creepy tale of special effects that are a bit too special - and dangerous. And it teaches the value of an able administrative assistant!

"Altered Beast, Altered Me" by John Langan starts with the sale of items from a closed museum-of-horror - including what's ostensibly Dracula's Ring - and then goes into an epistolary form, where we gradually come to realize what's going on with one of the parties in the conversation.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Hollis St. in Pepperell, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, October 31, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/31/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hollis St. in Pepperell, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Spooktacular October challenge, for the blood on the cover. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Tick Tock challenge. ***