The Testaments

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/18/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, July 18, 2020
I was massively excited to read this at last (The Handmaid's Tale is one for my favourite-ever novels) and the first third of it was brilliant. I loved the character creation - especially Aunt Lydia's story. I could have read her bits for hours.

But as the plot developed, it started to stretch a bit thinner. I struggled to appreciate the logic of where the action was going. Some major events just didn't make sense from my reading. This feeling of 'eh?' increased in the final third. By the time of the dramatic climax towards the end, I was distinctly underwhelmed. The characters and writing were still wonderful, it just felt like Atwood didn't know what to do with them.

So I'm not going to keep this copy forever as originally planned. It can go on its own journeys. It's not a bad book at all - I guess it just couldn't live up to my love of the original.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 25, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/25/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted to a friend.

Journal Entry 3 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 01, 2021
This has arrived safely with me! So excited to read this. I re-read the Handmaid's Tale at the weekend to get me in the zone. Thanks so much for sending it. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 06, 2021
I loved hearing the perspective of other people from the Handmaid's Tale in this novel. I think it is really important to see who can become those who oppress others and why this has happens, and what people will do to survive. I didn't feel it packed quite as much of a punch as the Handmaid's Tale, but maybe because that book felt like nothing I'd ever read before. Aunt Lydia's sections feel more like that earlier book. I struggled a bit with Jade's lack of fear about entering Gilead. I did enjoy this book though and am still glad I read it.

Journal Entry 5 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 08, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (3/8/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to Daffodil-2 as a bit of spreading some cheer in a pandemic rabckery. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, March 13, 2021
Received in the post from Bookfrogster and just taken out of quarantine. Thanks very much. I shall look forward to reading the book as soon as it fits one of Plum-Crazy's "What to Read" monthly themes. (See under Book Talk in the Forum-it's great fun-come and join us!). I've already read the Handmaid's Tale and watched the tv series so it will be very interesting to see where the story goes next.

Journal Entry 7 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2021
REVIEW:-"A satisfying, if complicated, conclusion to the Handmaid's Tale story. It was good to see Aunt Lydia's character expand and improve. I didn't envy her the "Thank Tank" and even found myself able to forgive her some of her sins for what she went through during this period. I got a little confused from time to time as to who was who and which of them was reporting their experiences but in general really enjoyed the story. A very well thought-out plot from the amazing mind of Margaret Atwood."
Reserved for Emscott10.