Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1

I spy with my little eye
by Ted Naifeh | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 9781932664461 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/16/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2020
I got this ex-library softcover from Better World Books. It's an entertaining graphic novel about a young girl at a finishing school who's known as the "goodie-goodie" of her dorm, never causing trouble or breaking rules - and then one night she's shanghaied from her own bedroom (her entire bed hoisted out the window!) and told she's the daughter of the legendary pirate Captain Meg, and the crew wants the treasure map. "What map?" thinks poor Polly, who had no idea about this at all and just wants to get back to the dorm before she's found out... [She succeeds in this - she's clearly quite resourceful.]

But her adventures aren't over, with yet another pirate crew abducting her next time, leading to an ongoing hunt for the pirate hat with the map tucked inside, and thence to the treasure itself. Along the way Polly gradually begins to act more and more like a pirate captain, so the story about her parentage seems to be true...

The resolution is highly satisfactory, especially when Polly's father turns up on a break from his job as a foreign ambassador - he drops in via hot-air balloon in this rather steampunk-ish version of history, promptly gives her an alibi to her headmistress for her absences - and then looks suitably surprised when Polly wants to know about her mother...

I might read more in this series if I come across a copy.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the comic, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Yuddicky Farm Conservation Area in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 19, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/19/2020 UTC) at Yuddicky Farm Conservation Area in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, at the memorial stone along the trail by Lovewell Pond on this lovely day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 You're Such an Animal challenge, for the embedded "rat" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Talk Like a Pirate challenge, in honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19. Arrghh! ***