Five Go Gluten Free (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)

Travel with books
by Bruno Vincent | Humor | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/25/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 25, 2020
I got this slim hardcover from an online seller, amused at the idea of making Enid Blyton's Famous Five into humorous books with more adult issues - in this case "gluten free", with others in the series including parenting, giving up the booze, and Brexit. (The tone reminds me a bit of Mabel Maney's hilarious riffs on the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, and other such series - see A Ghost in the Closet and The Case of the Not-so-nice Nurse.)

I haven't read the originals, but I think I get a fair sense of them via this book - which is a mix of homage and pastiche. The story opens with the gang enjoying a birthday picnic - at which birthday girl Anne is given a cookbook, a weekend at a well-being retreat, and a spiralizer. Hints, much? She starts right in using her new toys, but the gang is not keen on the suddenly-veggie-intense meals. Still, they wind up being convinced/encouraged to give a healthy new lifestyle a try - with predictably amusing results, especially when they visit their old stomping grounds and have to deal with baking-with-love relatives, or pubs where "protein balls" are unheard of. (There's also an amusing bit where someone recognizes them as the characters from their own series and insists on their coming to speak to school kids... yeah.)

By the end of the book, the status quo has been restored, so the gang can proceed to their next adventure.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 25, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/26/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library outside the Adult Learning Center; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Wine+Food challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2021 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes challenge, for the embedded "glute" in the title. ***