All's Faire in Middle School

Travel with books
by Victoria Jamieson | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2020
I enjoyed Jamieson's book Roller Girl, and when I saw this book at Barnes and Noble today I had to pick it up. It's about middle schoolers and Renaissance Faires!

Later: A very nice premise, with some intriguing twists. Among them - Imogene's family has worked the 'Ren Faire for years, with their crafts and costumes as much a part of their daily lives as they can be. They've home-schooled the kids, too - but now Imogene's old enough for middle school and they've decided she should go. But will the culture clash of this boots-and-swords-loving girl and the more traditional class members cause trouble? Hint: yes, yes it will - but not quite in the directions I expected.

As with Roller Girl, this book touches on lots of aspects of growing up, from coping with pesky siblings to trying to work out the complex friendship-formulas at school. Imogene initially gets in with the popular crowd, only discovering later what the costs of that might be. Meanwhile she finds that another classmate is an active 'Ren-faire participant - cue budding friendship? Or not, as other things get in the way...

Poor Imogene has some rough spells, not least when she throws away her pesky brother's beloved-but-ratty stuffed toy, and then spends an inordinate amount of time trying to recover or replace it. We also see behind the scenes at the 'Ren faire, with people training in showy sword-play, fake fights, juggling (Imogene's pretty good at juggling, something that turns into a plot point eventually), chatting up the visitors, and learning courtly behavior and the honor code of the knights.

Lots of fun, some angst, some lessons learned the hard way, and some friendships forged. Great fun! [And don't miss the illuminated-page stylings on the chapter intros!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Thornton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Released 3 wks ago (9/30/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library, Thornton Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 September Sapphire challenge. ***