Vanity Fair

by William Makepeace Thackeray | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by stubee of Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on 7/14/2020
Journal Entry 1 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 14, 2020
Selected for my 2020 reading list.

Journal Entry 2 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 6, 2020
Started!

Journal Entry 3 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, August 21, 2020
Wow, what a novel. A long but very enjoyable read. Thackeray's narration is excellent, I really liked how he sometimes takes a break from telling the story to speak to you as the reader, I think that was quite normal for the time but you don’t get that much in more recent times and I find it very funny indeed.

This novel was set with the Napoleonic Wars as it’s background which made me realise I don’t know enough about this time in history, something I really should rectify by reading more around the subject. It seems strange that a war could be going on yet there still people living their normal lives in the same country just a few miles away from the conflict!

I found following the lives of Becky and Amelia a delight, how their lives entwined with the people they meet and the choices they made throughout was a joy to read.

One grip though is that it can sometimes get confusing because everyone is in some way related or has the same surname, I really could have done with a family tree or something similar in the front to reference too.

This is going back on our bookshelf now until KT-J reads it.