Dear Mrs Bird

by A J Pearce | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/11/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 11, 2020
This is one of the three novels I brought home from the red telephone box book exchange in Tholthorpe yesterday when we went for a drive in the countryside and I took a few books to swap on the way. It was good to see some greenery after months of coronavirus lockdown!
I chose it because, although I feel I've read enough stories set in the Second World War to last me a lifetime, the positive comments I've read about it on BookCrossing suggest that I might be worth making an exception for this one!

From Google Overview: "Emmeline Lake and her best friend Bunty are doing their bit for the war effort and trying to stay cheerful, despite the German planes making their nightly raids. Emmy dreams of becoming a Lady War Correspondent, and when she spots a job advertisement in the newspaper she seizes her chance; but after a rather unfortunate misunderstanding, she finds herself typing letters for the formidable Henrietta Bird, renowned advice columnist of Woman’s Friend magazine."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 17, 2020
I loved every minute of this superb story, being particularly impressed with the narrator Emmy's voice, she's wonderful. I'm so pleased I chose to read it! I understand that it's the author's debut and sincerely hope she writes more such novels for us to enjoy . . .

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 19, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/19/2020 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To my friend and neighbour who BookCrosses as blower - enjoy! I did!

Journal Entry 4 by Blower at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 23, 2020
From my friend and neighbour Nu-Knees.
This looks interesting. It's on top of the pile to read next.

Journal Entry 5 by Blower at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 11, 2020
For some reason this was - 'A Very Enjoyable Read'
The following comment was borrowed from an online reviewer and sums it up well -
"To me Emmeline is a cross between Bridget Jones and Bertie Wooster, stumbling from one faux-pas to another, while talking the vernacular of schoolgirls"

I feel that it would be useful to read the Author's Note first as it sets the scene for the story. This is found at the end of the book.