Love and Ruin

by Paula McLain | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1101967404 Global Overview for this book
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 7/8/2020
Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 8, 2020
Goodreads Precis:
In 1937, twenty-eight-year-old Martha Gellhorn travels alone to Madrid to report on the atrocities of the Spanish Civil War and becomes drawn to the stories of ordinary people caught in the devastating conflict. It's her chance to prove herself a worthy journalist in a field dominated by men. There she also finds herself unexpectedly--and unwillingly--falling in love with Ernest Hemingway, a man on his way to becoming a legend.

On the eve of World War II, and set against the turbulent backdrops of Madrid and Cuba, Martha and Ernest's relationship and careers ignite. But when Ernest publishes the biggest literary success of his career, For Whom the Bell Tolls, they are no longer equals, and Martha must forge a path as her own woman and writer.

Heralded by Ann Patchett as "the new star of historical fiction," Paula McLain brings Gellhorn's story richly to life and captures her as a heroine for the ages: a woman who will risk absolutely everything to find her own voice.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 8, 2020
My Review
I loved this; a fiction based on fact novel about the relationship that Martha Gellhorn had with Ernest Hemingway.

Prior to reading this my knowledge of Martha, his third wife was virtually non-existent. Therefore, it was fascinating to learn more about her, their relationship and travels. It was a stormy and interesting decade that they spent together. Although it is obvious that he loved Martha, all women in general really, he also could be very unpleasant.

The Author Paula McLain has made an excellent job of telling the story of their relationship. Although it is of course fiction it reads like a memoir with the relevant times and places realistically portrayed.

Highly recommended to any reader interested in Hemingway and Gellhorn.

Released 1 yr ago (2/1/2021 UTC) at Friend in And Eager Reader!, A Potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading