The First Collection of Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic

by Jessica Hopper | Arts & Photography | This book has not been rated.
Registered by xtrdnry of Parkdale, Victoria Australia on 7/2/2020
Journal Entry 1 by xtrdnry from Parkdale, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 02, 2020
Jessica Hopper's music criticism has earned her a reputation as a firebrand, a keen observer and fearless critic not just of music but the culture around it. With this volume spanning from her punk fanzine roots to her landmark piece on R. Kelly's past, The First Collection leaves no doubt why The New York Times has called Hopper's work "influential." Not merely a selection of two decades of Hopper's most engaging, thoughtful, and humorous writing, this book documents the last 20 years of American music making and the shifting landscape of music consumption. The book journeys through the truths of Riot Grrrl's empowering insurgence, decamps to Gary, IN, on the eve of Michael Jackson's death, explodes the grunge-era mythologies of Nirvana and Courtney Love, and examines emo's rise. Through this vast range of album reviews, essays, columns, interviews, and oral histories, Hopper chronicles what it is to be truly obsessed with music. The pieces in The First Collection send us digging deep into our record collections, searching to re-hear what we loved and hated, makes us reconsider the art, trash, and politics Hopper illuminates, helping us to make sense of what matters to us most.

Journal Entry 2 by xtrdnry at SI Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 02, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (7/3/2020 UTC) at SI Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 3 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 08, 2020
Caught at SI.