Pachinko

by Min Jin Lee | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingechodewing of Seattle, Washington USA on 8/16/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingechodewing from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, August 16, 2020
received from volunteering at "Friends of [redacted] Public Library"

Journal Entry 2 by wingechodewing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, January 15, 2021
This book entered my radar as I gained the utmost respect for the author after hearing one of her interviews from the ProBookNerds' podcast.
It took me 2 attempts to get into the story, but time flew by once I did.
As a Taiwanese-American of Chinese descent, I remember constant discussion about/animosity towards the Japanese in my childhood (as if we'd been gentle in our conquering ways), namely the atrocities they committed elsewhere (as if we aren't all profiting from medical advancements due to experiments on prisoners in wars). This book focuses mainly on one Korean family's multi-generational lives in Japan throughout the 20th century, and the forever-foreigner status they had to endure. Lee did a great job straddling neutrality by presenting likeable native Japanese characters & scenarios, without placation.
Comparisons to One Hundred Years of Solitude probably can't be avoided, but should, for obvious reasons, as well as differing writing styles (hers is a bit more pedestrian).

Journal Entry 3 by wingechodewing at Book, Tea & Chocolate Sweepstakes, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 15, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/15/2021 UTC) at Book, Tea & Chocolate Sweepstakes, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out to the WINNER !!
This was on the winner's wishlist; hope you enjoy it & my other choices for you 😉

Journal Entry 4 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Wahou !!! What an amazing parcel you sent me !

Many thanks for the different chocolates (all the family tried the french potatoes and the bacon chocolate!!!, the rasperry one is very good too !), the nice card, the stamps, the original tea with rousted black bean, the lipstick (my daughters already tried it as soon as I have opened the parcel!), and the book, just perfect !

It is very nice, thanks !!!