Arranged Marriage : Stories

by Chitra Divakaruni | Women's Fiction |
Registered by winglauraloo29wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 4/23/2004
Journal Entry 1 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, April 23, 2004
Beautifully written stores reflecting East Indian culture - past, present and future. Wonderul!

Journal Entry 2 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 24, 2004
I'm starting this as a bookring. Please journal when you receive the book, if only to note it's safe arrival.

Mailing order:

1. duza-kaluza - Poland - Europe
2. Zarylia - Poland - Int.
3. ecmwfinswe - Sweden - Int.
4. cheli-garza - US - US
12. your-book-fairy - US - Int
13. tnelson99 - US - Int
14. Ilios - US - Int
15. lauraloo29

I'm mailing this to duza-kaluza on Thursday, April 29th.

Journal Entry 3 by duza-kaluza from Santiago, Región Metropolitana Chile on Saturday, May 08, 2004
I got this in the mail today. This is my first bookring experience. I've forgotten what it's like to get a package in the mail!
I'm going to start reading it tonight.

------------------------
19 May 2004

Dropped this in the mail a couple days ago and it's on its way to Zarylia in Warsaw.

When I signed up for this bookring I didn't know it was a collection of stories. I love short stories, but if I read them all in one go by the end of the book all the stories tend to get mixed up in my head.

I've been interested in Indian writers and writings about India lately, so 'Arranged Marriages' was definitely an insightful read. The sheer variety of experiences that each story describes, shows us that everyone is an individual.

Tradition is another common theme, in which each female in these stories embraces or bouts with, whether they are living a traditional life in India or taking on western habits abroad, or even having a lifestyle that is something in between.

I also enjoyed the way most of the stories left you hanging, so that the reader has to ponder the story for a while after with questions such as: what happened?, how will this effect the other characters?, will society accept or reject her?, etc....

I'm very interested in what other readers have to think about this book.

And there you have it, my first bookring completed. What a joy bookcrossing is:) Enjoy

Journal Entry 4 by Zarylia from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2004
Warsaw/Poland - Just got this in the mail from duza-kaluza along with another book. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 5 by Zarylia from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2004
Warsaw/Poland - Absolutely wonderful. I love Chitra Divakaruni's writing. The stories are so full of emotion it is impossible to not get caught up in them. Like duza-kaluza said, I like how the ending is not spelled out for you, generally I don't like when authors do this but it just seemed to fit in these stories.

Several of these stories had me teary and glad I wasn't reading it public. The relationships in all of them were so poignant, Meera and Krishna in 'A Perfect Life', Asha and Dinesh in 'Meeting Mrinal'. I've been trying to figure out what it is exactly about these stories that makes them so touching and "Ravishingly beautiful" as Booklist says. I think maybe it's their intense realism that makes the tragedies and the truimphs that much more profound.

Anyway, needless to say, this is definitely going on my wishlist. Thanks so much lauraloo29 and duza-kaluza for getting this into my hands. I'll be sending it on to ecmwfinswe soon.

Journal Entry 6 by Zarylia from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2004
Warsaw/Poland - I left this with someone in Poland and asked that they send it surface mail to ecmwfinswe. It was probably mailed on the 11th and hopefully will not take too much time to reach ecmwfinswe. Thanks again for letting me take part in this ring!

Journal Entry 7 by ecmwfinswe on Thursday, July 01, 2004
The book arrived to Sweden June 29th. Thanks Zarylia!

Journal Entry 8 by ecmwfinswe on Sunday, July 25, 2004
Many strong stories and heart-breaking... The author has described the old traditions and the meetings with the western world very well.
I'm mailing the book to cheli-garza today, July 25th.

Journal Entry 9 by cheli-garza from Dallas, Texas USA on Friday, July 30, 2004
Received in the mail the day before yesterday. I'm maybe halfway through it, but so far the stories are amazing. It's one of those books you can't put down! The best literature out there makes you rethink part of your life and the story Bats makes me think of my daughter, since it's from a young girl's perspective. The story Clothes is heartbreaking, yet gives a bit of hope (although uncertain) for the future. A Perfect Life is just plain heartbreaking. Meera is just so darn accepting about her boyfriend. After that, she should have dumped him! Anyways, back to those stories...

Update 8/6: Kitten22 is backlogged right now, so PMing EMA375 for address, then mailing out.

Thanks for letting me share in this ring!

Journal Entry 10 by EMA375 from Santa Clarita, California USA on Monday, August 16, 2004
8/16: Received today. I'll start this as soon as I can! Thx.

8/26: Great book! Easy read and great stories. Thank you for sharing this book. I mailed this book out a few days ago.

Journal Entry 11 by Kitten22 from Ellington, Connecticut USA on Friday, August 27, 2004
Arrived today. Can't wait to read!

Journal Entry 12 by Kitten22 from Ellington, Connecticut USA on Saturday, September 25, 2004
Quire an interesting read. I want to feel bad for the women who have oppressive marriages, but I just can't seem to. Most are spoiled rich women and I can't help but feel that they need a bit of reality in their extraneous, vacuous existences.

Of course, having grown up in the US myself it's much, much different for me. But I still can't bring myself to feel bad for these women. Not even in the maid servant story. The only one I felt bad for was the maid. Not the wife or the sister. They're just sad, weak, stupid women. And, I can't even seem to gather up enough emotion to pity them. They don't even seem worthy of pity. Very "poor little rich girl" syndrome to me.

Certainly an interesting read and I'm quite ... perhaps "glad" isn't the right word ... that I was given a chance to read it.

Sending on to may-eve.

Journal Entry 13 by may-eve from Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, October 03, 2004
Just arrived... will read it next!

10/23/04: Lovely stories. Yes, these are privileged women in many ways, but all are very human, with their hopes and fears. I also enjoyed these stories as a window into a culture I know very little about.

10/26/04: Sent to Readinator, media mail, today.

Journal Entry 14 by Readinator from Woodend, Victoria Australia on Friday, November 05, 2004
Thanks to lauraloo29 adding me to the list for this bookring, it has arrived. I will probably dip into these stories while reading other bookring books. I've already read the first one!

Looking forward to this. Will read and send to next participant.

Journal Entry 15 by Readinator from Woodend, Victoria Australia on Friday, November 19, 2004
I quite enjoyed these stories. I didn't find myself embroiled in the characters' lives as I have in other of her work, for example Sister of My Heart and the Vine of Desire (incidentally, one of the stories from Arranged Marriage, [the one with one cousin in the US, the other having just left her marriage in India] was later expanded and became the novel Sister of My Heart. More about this below!).

But back to the stories. I find that the cultural restrictions imposed on women in India are a great 'equaliser'. Every woman in India, regardless of her status in society has to live with what are to my mind, unbearable restrictions and depend on the men in her life for everything. I can sympathise with all the protagonists in Divakaruni's stories because they are so painfully aware that each choice they make might have (for them) unimaginable consequences. For example, every aspect of your life in traditional Indian society is determined and driven by your family. If you are rejected by that family, there isn't anything more devastating; there is simply nowhere else to turn.

Anyway, fascinating reading. I found 'Clothes' heartbreaking. The plight of widows in India is quite terrible. Thanks so much, lauraloo29 for sharing this one with me!

I've already dropped this in the post for loopylou127 (yesterday, by Australian Parcel Post)

**By the way, I have bookrays running for the two Chitra Divakaruni books I mentioned above. PM me to participate, or see my bookshelf page for more details**

Journal Entry 16 by Loopylou127 from Hassall Grove, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 30, 2004
I have it safe and sound. Sorry for the delay but between the PO and finding an internet connection, I've been pushed.

I'll try to read inbetween other books, now knowing that they are short stories, it might be easier.

Thank for sending this around Lauraloo

Journal Entry 17 by Loopylou127 from Hassall Grove, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 20, 2005
I have just finished - sorry for the delay.
I found the ties that bind all the women to tradition and family very strong amazingly even the "modern" girls appear to be unable to break the invisible thread. I already have a forwarding addy for Flicki. Will try to get to the postoffice by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 18 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, March 03, 2005
Oh, thank you! Book arrived!!! I still have 3 1/2 bookrings ahead but I will try to squeeze it somewhere in between! Hopefully I won't take too much time, but I'd really like to read this!

Journal Entry 19 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, March 26, 2005
I finally finished the book yesterday. The stories were nice apart from the fact that they were all so similar to each other. I grew pretty bored by the endless repetitions... female... born in Calcutta... arranged marriage with stranger in India... moved to California. I wonder what Divakaruni got her prizes for. Maybe for her style of writing (which is good but not great), but certainly not for creativity!

I'm still waiting for FieryFairy's address to send the book on.

Journal Entry 20 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
Finally sent to Gate Gypsy today!

Journal Entry 21 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Friday, May 27, 2005
Arrived in the mail on ... Thursday. Just journalling today. Thanks for sending it! I'll read it shortly. Currently working on a MAMMOTH-sized novel for another ring...

**************************************************************************:

Read and enjoyed! I like short story collections. Tiny glimpses. I admit to a romanticised image of India, mostly, so this was a fun and interesting read. Gave a little more depth to my imaginings. I'm so glad to have had a chance with it!

**********************************************************************

Shipped sometime in June, should be nearly to Brooklyn by now! Sorry for the delay in posting!

Journal Entry 22 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Friday, August 19, 2005
Got this one in the mail yesterday, and I'm equally excited to read a book that so many of you enjoyed so much AND to be part of such a successful ring. I love reading such well traveled books and will be sure to pass this one along as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 23 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, August 24, 2005
I agree with GateGypsy that I also often carry a somewhat romanticized version of what life must be like in India, or even in the US for Indian immigrants, since the ones that I've known are still so deeply rooted in their culture. So this was an interesting look at the other side of the coin and some of the issues and pressures that women deal with from their friends, family, spouses, society and selves. I really enjoyed much of the writing and some of the descriptive passages made it very easy to relate to the characters and their surroundings even when the situation was literally foreign to me. I can see how the stories could have felt redundant at times, but I guess with a title like "Arranged Marriage", that theme is bound to continue to repeat itself.

Probably the bigger pet peeve for me was that I didn't realize until towards the end of the book that there is a glossary of terms in the back. I'm used to non-American authors and translated texts using an italicized non-English word here and there, so it had never occured to me that there would be translations somewhere.

Thanks again to everyone who has gotten the book this far. I'll be mailing out to tnelson99 in the morning.

Journal Entry 24 by tnelson99 from Festus, Missouri USA on Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Just received in the mail yesterday and will start it within a week or so. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 25 by tnelson99 from Festus, Missouri USA on Thursday, September 15, 2005
An interesting book ~ I enjoyed the short stories, but just something I couldnt get into. I am going to mail out to the next in line, Ilios, tomorrow. THANKS for sharing!

Journal Entry 26 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Saturday, September 17, 2005
I got this book in the mail today, along with 2 others. When it rains, it pours! Thank you for extending this ring for me, lauraloo29! I'll update this entry as soon as I am done. I am looking forward to reading this because of Zarylia's recommendation in another journal entry.

Journal Entry 27 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, December 12, 2005
I finished this book a couple of days ago, and I waited a little bit to write this entry because I needed time to "digest" those stories and to figure out what I thought about the book... I am quite ambivalent about this collection of stories. On one hand, I found Ms. Divakaruni's style very beautiful and enthralling. I also enjoyed the glossary and her way of interweaving Indian words in the narrative. On the other hand, I found all the stories very depressive... No matter what they do (follow tradition and family/rise against tradition and family, agree to an arranged marriage/look for a marriage of love, live in India in traditional society/move to the US to a western society), these women are doomed to a life of servitude, loneliness and failure. There is little hope, no matter what you do. I am giving this book a 7 because although I couldn't put it down, it was more the attraction of seeing the crash than a genuine interest in the characters.

mailing back to lauraloo29 today. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 29 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 28, 2005
This book has arrived home safely! The 2nd bookring to return home this month. Although the only one that I didn't have to replace. Thank you to everyone who participated! And who kept it safe and moving.

Journal Entry 30 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 01, 2006
I'm going to send this book out again. This time as a bookray.

Please keep the book moving. If you're going to take longer than 4 weeks, please update your journal entry to reflect this.

1.cougmax US (NA preferred)
2.Bulan-Purnama US (US)
3.DianaCoats US (Intl)
4.Jaycee1972 UK (INtl)
5.AmberC Australia (Australia)
6.lmn60 Australia (will ship to India)
7.hshah India

Starting its journey on January 6th.

Journal Entry 31 by cougmax from Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, January 21, 2006
Arrived safe, thanks. This book has traveled! I have one book before it and then this read is next!

Journal Entry 32 by cougmax from Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, January 28, 2006
I was blown away. I thought the collection of stories was amazing. I couldn't put the book down. I was surprised too, since most of the journal entries gave it just a so-so review.
Maybe its in perspective. Creating a new life in the US while honoring morals and values from a home thousands of miles away is very difficult. Traditonally taught customs would be tough to break in the US with no one to talk to or share your fears with. And we can all relate to the pressure of trying to live up to the dreams and goals are parents have for us...
Divaharuni's writing was heart wrenching because real life often is. Marriage is hard and raising kids in a new country with your best friends and family so far away that a visit is impossible is a heavy load to bear. I loved that she didn't sugar coat her writing and the real emotion was easy to detect. I am putting both of her other books on my wish list today. Thank you for sharing lauraloo!
will pm Bulan-Purnama now.

Journal Entry 33 by cougmax from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, February 06, 2006
sent today to bulan

Journal Entry 34 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Saturday, February 11, 2006
Received yesterday. I will get to it as soon as I finish a bookring I am currently reading.

Journal Entry 35 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time. I must say Chitra Banerjee is a brilliant storyteller, she illuminates the world with her artistry and shakes the reader with her love. I will certainly look for more of her work.

Thank you lauraloo29 for sharing. I have DianaCoats address and sending on her way on friday.

Journal Entry 36 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Friday, March 03, 2006
Mailed the book this morning by media mail to DianaCoats. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 37 by DianaCoats from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Friday, March 24, 2006
Caught this book in my mailbox when I returned from California. My California trip was to be mostly business with some pleasure fit in but, just like life in general...best laid plans and all that...my trip waa about planning, supporting and attending a friends funeral. Days of helping the family pack things up was quite a healing experience. I'll email the next person in line to let them know I'm running a week behind.
Regards,
Diana

Journal Entry 38 by DianaCoats from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Saturday, April 01, 2006
This book has really travelled and, as in real life, has found that different receptions at different ports. When I signed up for the ring I didn't realize it was a book of short stories either...add me to the list of non-observant joiners! I generally resist short stories because they end right when I am wanting them to begin. More than one story from this book was later developed into a novel by the author though.
I like the authors writing style so I truly think I would enjoy whatever she wrote. Her stories do reflect a sadness for the most part but I would think that is realistic given the circumstances of the women. I really disagreed with the reviewer who found the protagonists to be "poor little rich girls". You don't get to be rich or poor when none of the money is yours and you don't know how it is spent or how to get any of your own. To think these women could just "choose" to make other choices because their husbands have money is to not understand the culture.
This book will be continuing on its journey today. Thank you for the opportunity to read it.

Journal Entry 39 by DianaCoats from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Saturday, April 01, 2006
Hello again everyone. I forgot when I journaled this morning that Jaycee1972 is in the UK so the book won't be shipping until Monday because I have to do customs forms and our local post office is closed on Saturday and Sunday. I'll get it going across the ocean first thing on Monday.

Journal Entry 40 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Received today in the post. Thank you! I think this is the book I have received with the most journal entries to date. I am looking forward to reading it but have a couple of other rings too. I will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 41 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 02, 2006
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Some just provided an insight into another culture while others made me sad. I read the book by dipping in and out whilst reading another book. This was a good way to prevent all of the stories blurring which tends to be a problem for me and a reason why I do not usually go for short stories. These were beautifully written and I am very glad to have the opportunity to read this, so thank you.

I have pmed AmberC for her address and will get this in the post a.s.a.p.

Journal Entry 42 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 14, 2006
Posting to AmberC tomorrow, all being well. I will sending surface mail so it may take a while to arrive.

Journal Entry 43 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Arrived safely today. I have a few other bookrings before it.

Journal Entry 44 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, September 01, 2006
A fascinating glimpse into a way of life I knew little about. It started an interesting conversation at work, one of the women I work with is Indian and her father had tried to arrange a marriage for her. She refused. Her parents marriage was an arranged one. It was interesting to hear her side of arranged marriages.

posting to lmn60 as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 45 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 11, 2006
Arrived safely on its penultimate stop! As usual, I have a couple of books before this one, but will get onto it ASAP!

Journal Entry 46 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 18, 2006
The irony is... I only signed up for this ray to help out lauraloo29 - who needed someone to post from Australia to India! What serendipity - because I really enjoyed these stories.
Unlike other readers, I didn't find the similarities between the stories grating - I just looked upon them as 'variations on a theme'. I found myself engaged emotionally by many of the women and their situation. From my middle-class, white Australian perspective, I saw their situation as unbearable, but I'm also aware of the need to belong and be accepted by one's own culture.
This book reminded me of Jhumpa Lahiri's 'Interpreter of Maladies' - another book of short stories regarding Indian/U.S. culture, and another wonderful book I discovered via bookcrossing. How lucky are we to have this organisation which allows us to discover such wonderful books!

Thanks for sharing this one, lauraloo29. I have hshah's address and will send it off today!

Journal Entry 47 by hshah from Mumbai, Maharashtra India on Saturday, December 16, 2006
Gosh, i received this book some time back and started to read, however forgot to register! Sorry for the dreaded error, i know when the books i send arent registered for some time. The stories are dark and leave you thinking!

thanks!

Journal Entry 48 by hshah at International Post in Mumbai, Maharashtra India on Monday, July 09, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/8/2007 UTC) at International Post in Mumbai, Maharashtra India

The book is on its way to Maryland, United States of America to UnwrittenLibra as part of a trade.
Updated: Registered Post No.: AIR-RPKT-A 1198

Journal Entry 49 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, August 04, 2007
Got it in the mail on a blazing hot August afternoon...my first book ever from India. Thanks again for the trade, Heena, and thanks for the bookmarks! They are gorgeous and I''m using one right now. I''ll probably take it with me when I go to college in the fall in Amherst, Massachusetts...maybe once I''m done, I''ll offer this up as a ring, seeing as it''s been everywhere!

Journal Entry 50 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 21, 2008
This book has been with me for awhile now, and I just got around to reading it on this beautiful April weekend in Amherst, Massachusetts. Though it did get a bit repetitive, Divakaruni's point was carried across very nicely and it was an overall quite enjoyable read. I am studying Hindi right now in college and recognized many of the Hindi words!

I'm marking it as AVL on my shelf for now, but who knows...another trip around the world, perhaps?

Journal Entry 51 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Friday, May 09, 2008
BOOKRING!

7. tagesmann - Kiveton Park, South Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
8. Pell - Canino Viterbo, Lazio, Italy
9. Back to me, UnwrittenLibra - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA

BOOKRING RULES:
1. Please journal when you receive the book, and again with your review and when you ship it on to the next person in line (PM them for their address).
2. Attach a local postcard with a "diary entry" of where the book has gone on its travels with you!
3. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 52 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Sent yesterday from Pikesville, MD to spaceystacey in Bridgeton, NJ!

DC#: 0305 0830 0003 4745 3816

Go book go! Enjoy, Stacey!

Journal Entry 53 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Friday, May 23, 2008
Received in the post yesterday. I am on vacation next week and will be reading this one and then sending on to the next reader.

06/02/2008. Thank you very much for allowing me to be a part of this book's long journey. I found each chapter to be very interesting. Some were harder to read than others due to the abuse of the woman.

Mailing out this afternoon to Hopi100 in Virginia.

Journal Entry 54 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2008
This just arrived on my doorstep today -- thanks so much! I can't wait to get started! :)

Journal Entry 55 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 15, 2008
What a wonderful book! I've truly enjoyed each of the chapters and appreciated each in its own way. Divakaruni gave me a new insight into the lives of Indian-born women, and I'm so thankful for that.

I've PM'd flossie771; once I receive an address I'll send the book on (most likely this weekend). Thanks so much for sharing this!

ETA: This was mailed on Monday, July 21. :)

Journal Entry 56 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Friday, August 08, 2008
This book arrived safely in Georgia. I will try to read quickly and pass along to the next reader. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 57 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I finished this book and mailed it to the next person on the list on 8-12-08. Thanks for including me in this ring, it was a very interesting book.

Journal Entry 58 by Isabel-Batteria from San Juan, Puerto Rico USA on Saturday, September 06, 2008
An unfortunate event... I will continue this ray with a replacement copy. The post office delivered the original copy to someone else. Someone who definitely was not me allegedly went to the post office to claim the parcel with the pink slip they leave in the mailbox so you can pick it up. They are investigating and all that, but in the meantime—and kinda expecting the worst—I have gotten another copy so that the ring can continue. If the original ever shows up, I will send it to Unwritten-Libra or to its current owner. I feel very bad that this happened and I just hope this new copy makes its way through another 4 years of travel and a long life (and doesn't get lost thanks to another lousy mailman).

I have started to read it and will pass it on soon.

Journal Entry 59 by Isabel-Batteria from San Juan, Puerto Rico USA on Sunday, November 23, 2008
This is a beautifully written book.

One of the stories, "Clothes", was so heartbreaking it even made me cry. That's the second story, the one about the woman whose loving husband is killed at the 7-Eleven. It made me cry and go hug my husband. I could feel her quiet desperation.

I have already contacted the next in line. I hope they enjoy it!

Journal Entry 60 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, January 03, 2009
Arrived safely this morning. Thank you, Isabel-Batteria. I've almost finished my current read so I hope to make a start on this very soon.

Journal Entry 61 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, January 11, 2009
A nice collection of short stories which I enjoyed.
Will post off to starflash asap.

Journal Entry 62 by Kerriou at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom

Posted off to starflash this morning.

Journal Entry 63 by starflash from -- Controlled Releases, West Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, January 17, 2009
Collected on my return to work this week, thank you!

I'm halfway through this book-I'll be done soon. 18.2.9, pming for address

Journal Entry 64 by starflash at sent by post, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/16/2009 UTC) at sent by post, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I am really sorry to have held this up. I was cleaning the car out today and I found it under the seat, I thought I had posted it some time ago. Profound apologies! I will take it to the post office tomorrow after work.

Journal Entry 65 by tagesmann on Sunday, March 22, 2009
Arrived on Wednesday. Been a bit hectic so I only just got the chance to log it.

Journal Entry 66 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Monday, July 27, 2009
Arrived here in Baltimore today! Thanks everyone!

Journal Entry 67 by UnwrittenLibra at Baltimore, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Another go-round for this one!

1. nancynova - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA
2. FrancesinSA - Sasolburg, South Africa
3. Pell - Canino, Italy
4. Esme-Weatherwax - Limerick, Ireland
5. sing-on-a-star - Manchester, United Kingdom
6. grovaskii - Berlin, Germany
7. ...you?

Journal Entry 68 by UnwrittenLibra at Baltimore, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Mailed to nancynova in Lansdale, PA via Riderwood, MD today - happy travels!

Journal Entry 69 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 08, 2010
Good grief. four pages of j/e's? This one's been traveling for a while. I'll be finishing my current library read, then this one is next! Looking forward to perusing everyone's thoughts, then diving in, probably by the weekend.

Journal Entry 70 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 12, 2010
Starting this book yesterday. Lovely short stories, but does require me to stop in between each one to savor and ponder.

Journal Entry 71 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, September 16, 2010
wonderful early book by this author. I can see some of these short stories expanded in her later novels. Not a book to read in one sitting - it was better to read only 1-2 stories at a time, ponder them for a while, then go back and read another one. Loved them all!

Journal Entry 72 by wingNancyNovawing at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Thursday, September 16, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/16/2010 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

On it's way to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 73 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Tuesday, October 05, 2010
Book arrived today. Thank you nancynova. Thanks also for the bookmarks, bookcrossing stickers and postcard of Boathouse Row, Philadelphia

Journal Entry 74 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Friday, October 22, 2010
I have started reading this book. Pell asked to be skipped and I have contacted the next person on the list for their address.

Journal Entry 75 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Friday, October 29, 2010
This is the first book that I have read by this author and will definitely read more. The writing is beautiful and colourful and I enjoyed this very much although I was hoping for a happy ending in at least one story but maybe that's not possible in... an Arranged Marriage.

..."We sit like this, two women caught in the repeating, circular world of shadow and memory, watching where the last light, silky and fragile, has spilled itself just above the horizon like the palloo of a saffron sari."

Journal Entry 76 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Friday, October 29, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/29/2010 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

Posting this today to Esme-Weatherwax.