The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by RNAi of New York City, New York USA on 6/24/2020
Journal Entry 1 by RNAi from New York City, New York USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2020
"'My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.'

So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her -- her friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, The Lovely Bones succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy." (summary from Goodreads.com)

I read this book on an airplane when I was 16 years old, sitting next to total strangers, trying not to cry. This book is an incredibly moving look at how loss affects a family, friends, and community--even down to the killer. I highly recommend Sebold's autobiography, Lucky, after this, as it gives some context to how the author understands trauma so well. This book is reserved for a person who requested a book suggestion on a card exchange subreddit. I'm sending this as a surprise. I purchased this at a Goodwill in Fairmont, WV.

Journal Entry 2 by RNAi at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 25, 2020

Released 10 mos ago (6/24/2020 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent this to a fellow Redditor who asked for book recommendations on the card exchange subreddit I follow. I wanted to surprise them with a book that I really enjoyed, along with a card I hope they will enjoy.